Pumpkin Cranberry Scones w/ Maple Frosting – Gluten Free & Vegan

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones w/ Maple Frosting - Gluten Free & Vegan

My first endeavor into a gluten free version of favorite breakfast fare.  And I must be finally figuring this gluten free thing out, b/c a baked good turned out great the first time!  I know first hand how frustrating gluten free baking can be when you alter a recipe at all for taste or allergy reasons.  The VAST majority of gluten free recipes and cookbooks out there are laden with dairy and eggs and rely heavily on those for texture and taste.  So when you have to change things up, it can get a bit tricky.  I have thrown more than a few finished batches of finished baked goods right in the trash.  I think that is one of the main reasons I started this blog.  I KNOW what it feels like!  Cutting out food groups is challenging, and gets exponentially so the more things you have to pull out.  This is a way to hopefully help at least a few people who want to throw in the towel and just eat what’s easy: it may take some practice, but with some good recipes, you’ll be on your way and feel so much better when you get it all figured out.  You are not alone!  I know I would certainly be an ear for you if you ever get frustrated…comment away!
No one will miss the gluten,dairy, or eggs in these babies, and vegetables hiding in them too…perfect!  Here’s to good food and good cup of coffee on a blustery morning my friends!

LUNCHBOX TIP: These and other scones are great way to get whole grains, vegetables, and fruit servings into your kids lunchbox.   They are simple to pack and kid pleasing.  I like to make extra and wrap them individually in the freezer for a quick grab and pack lunch box filler, and my daughter likes picking her favorite to go in! The frosting is not necessary, but increases the novelty and makes the kiddos excited for their lunchbox!

Pumpkin Cranberry Scones w/ Maple Frosting - Gluten Free & Vegan
Author:

• 1½ cup Gluten Free Oat Flour (best deal on Amazon subscribe and save!)
  • 1 cup tapioca flour
  • ½ cup sorghum flour (or millet, or more oat flour)
  • 1 teaspoon guar gum
  • (Or replace above ingredients with about 2¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1 tablespoon grain-free baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ cup palm sugar, or brown sugar
  • ½ cup coconut oil or Spectrum Shortening
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree, canned or fresh (I made these with my own puree from my garden, please refer to this post for how to bake your own squash or pumpkin)
  • 1/ 2 cup carrot applesauce (this is just the Tree Top Organic Applesauce (Costco) mixed with some baby food carrots for added nutrients. You could just use regular applesauce if you like, but I try to get as many vegetables in the food as possible with my veggie averse middle child!)
  • ½ cup dried cranberries, or chopped fresh
  • Maple Frosting:
  • ½ cup corn-free powdered sugar or powdered palm sugar
  • 1 tablespoon melted Earth Balance or allowed butter
  • Apx 2 tablespoons maple syrup, to desired consistency
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Whisk the dry ingredients together.
  3. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the shortening until it resembles a sandy texture.
  4. Mix in the wet ingredients. The dough should be a familiar scone consistency, and takes a minute to come together as it is stiff.
  5. Pat dough into two 6-8" discs.
  6. Cut the discs into 6 wedges each, place the pieces on a Silpat lined cookie sheet (if you don't have one of these babies...get one!  A bakers dream, and no clean up!).  A greased cookie sheet works too!
  7. Bake for 20-23 minutes until golden and cooked through.
  8. Mix your frosting together and drizzle frosting over the tops.

This recipe was  shared on Allergy-Friendly Lunchbox Love, Fat Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, GF Wednesday, Kids in the Kitchen, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Keep It Real Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Wellness Weekend, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday GF Fridays, Fill Those Jars Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Healthy Vegan Friday, Potluck Party Pumpkin, Natural Living Mondays, My Meatless Monday, Monday Mania, Make Your Own Monday, Better Mom’s Linky, Seasonal Sunday, Sugar-Free Sunday, GF Monday, Fat Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Breads & Muffins, Breakfast, Vegan
17 comments on “Pumpkin Cranberry Scones w/ Maple Frosting – Gluten Free & Vegan
  1. vintagemom says:

Thanks for coming to the party :) Can't wait to try these! And thanks for all your great info about the wraps… it's an ongoing process, isn't it? My kids are going to love trying sandwiches made with pancakes :)

Lisa

2. ella @ lifeologia says:

Oh dear these look heavenly!!!!
    Must make today!!!! ;D Wish I had one right now with my tea ;)
    xoxo
    Ella
    ps. Would love it if you came by with these to our Pumpkin Potluck Party ;D

3. Geanna says:

This recipe looks great! Congrats on mastering the gf baking. I own my own allergy-free bakery and I STILL don’t feel like I have a 100% handle on it!

• Oh don’t think for a second Geanna that I have it all down! Back when I wrote this post a year ago, I was finally getting to the point where a majority of gf vegan baked goods were successes and not flops….a huge benchmark! Today, I can still claim mostly successes, but now I am always experimenting to see how to improve things even more! An allergy free bakery totally intrigues me…what part of the world are you in?

4. Dana says:

Tessa, I love your site! Esp because of your love of pumpkin and your creative veggie sneaking ways :) I have a picky eater too, sigh. This scone recipe looks great! I made your pancakes and they all disappeared very quickly.
    -Dana

• Thank you Dana! The joys of picky eaters….I have to remember there was a day I was an oober picky too, and now I am the opposite, so there’s IS hope! Hopefully these go over well with your clan too!

5. Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) says:

OH, this sounds YUMMY! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! Thanks for helping get our party kicked off this week! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you’ll join us this week! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

6. Judy @Savoring Today says:

Scones are my absolute favorite, above muffins or pancakes, and even better with clotted cream. I like the combination of flavors you have used here and even better that they are gluten free. Thank you for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

7. Gabby @ the veggie nook says:

These are gorgeous, especially with that frosting dripping off :)

Thanks for sharing on Healthy Vegan Friday!

8. Cynthia L. says:

I love scones! These look really wonderful. I am glad you used dried cranberries. I have not been able to find fresh yet! Thanks for sharing.

9. Alea @ Premeditated Leftovers says:

What an amazing combination! I’ve pinned this recipe to try later. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipes with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

10. Little Sis says:

These look perfect for a cup of tea and a fireplace. thanks for sharing.

11. Katie @ Mexican Wildflower says:

I love scones! These are perfect for fall! Thanks for sharing with Natural Living Monday. I hope to see you this week!

12. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures says:

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

13. euforia says:

Hi, thank you for nice recipe. I am stopping by from euforiaconfections.com please come and visit https://www.facebook.com/EuforiaCake and enter Halloween Contest to win 12 cake sampler of euforia thousand-layer cake.

euforia

14. Erica says:

Your scone recipe is MAH-Vel-OUS! Truly! I have only been baking gluten free for about four months and have had several cases that went in the trash or to my chickens. On the contrary, these scones are amazing! My hubby LOVES them and he doesn’t like ANY kind of scones lol. I did substitute 1/2 of the brown sugar with stevia powder for baking and a slightly different combo of the flour (I used oat bran and oats combined for 1 c. of the oat flour and increased the sorghum flour to 1 cup.) Other than that, I increased the cranberries, added sunflower seeds and hazelnuts (because I like lots of “stuff”. Delicious!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

• This is one of my older recipes, I would use part stevia today too, glad you tested it out for me (:
      Even better all those amazing goodies you added in….I have to work on kids I think, any cruncy anything gets frowned upon! So glad they were a hit with you and your hubs…and lucky you to have chickens to feed all the debacles (sure could have used a flock when I first went gluten free!). I appreciate your feedback Erica!