Raw Fudge Brownie Bites w/ Toasted Coconut

Raw Fudge Brownie Bites w/ Toasted Coconut

When I first made the Lara Bars Squared and posted them here, it really got my creative juices flowing.  There seemed to be endless possibilities and combinations of how to work with similar ingredients to create lots of different flavors and textures in these energy bars.

When I first made these bites, I had not used the toasted coconut.  They were good…but I felt like they needed something else.  So to the pantry I went exploring, and the coconut was practically begging me to part of this little experiment….and boy did it pay off!  The toasting really brings out the flavor and sets these little bites apart.  I thought maybe if I made little bites, they would last longer…but we’ll see!  And maybe next time…I will toast the walnuts too!

P.S. The kids thought these were brownies.

Raw Fudge Brownie Bites w/ Toasted Coconut

• 8 ounces Medjool Dates (Trader Joes is the best deal I have found, $3.79/pound) You could add more if you'd like to increase the sweetness
  • 1½ cup walnuts
  • 6 tablespoons cacao powder (I used Navitas, any unsweetened powder would do, but higher quality ones usually have a better chocolate punch, my favorite so far has been Dagoba)
  • 1-2 tablespoons raw honey (or any honey, maple syrup, coconut nectar)
  • Dash of salt (optional! But it heightens the chocolate flavor)
  • ½ cup grated unsweetened coconut, toasted
  1. Toast the coconut by cooking in a heavy-bottomed pan over low heat. Be very watchful, shaking it around many times to evenly toast and to watch the golden hues develop. It will go from toasted to burnt pretty quickly! Alternately, you could disperse the coconut on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven for about 6-10 minutes, shaking a couple times, removing when golden brown. Set aside.
  2. Place all ingredients except coconut in a food processor and blend until cohesive.
  3. Add in ¼ cup of the coconut. Pulse a few more times to mix, taste test for sweetness and add more dates or honey if desired.
  4. Pinch off small grape size (or larger) pieces and roll into balls. Roll each ball in the remaining toasted coconut! A quicker method is to press the whole deal into an 8 x 8 pan, press the toasted coconut into the top. Slice into bars for storage. You all mix all the toasted coconut into the mix and forgo the pretty coating!
  5. Store pieces in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

This recipe was shared on Pennywise Platter, Wellness Weekend, Full Plate Thursday, Fight Back Friday,  Seasonal Celebration Sundays, Sugar Free Sumdays, Monday Mania,Melt in Your Mouth Monday, My Meatless Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Better Mom’s Linky, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Gluten Free Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday @ This Chick Cooks, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday,  Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Kids in the Kitchen, Full Plate Thursday, Thriving on Thursday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Pennywise Platter,Keep It Real Thursday, Freaky Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Sugar Free Sunday, Seasonal Celebration Sunday,

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Cookies & Bars, Grain Free/Paleo, Snacks, Vegan
11 comments on “Raw Fudge Brownie Bites w/ Toasted Coconut

Your Brownie Bites are just awesome, they look wonderful! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

2. Rogene says:

Those look so good!

3. Peggy says:

I would love it, if you would share this, & any other recipes you may have, on my recipe link up. http://goodrecipesonline.com/organized-linkup-for-all-your-recipes-goodrecipesonline-com/.

These look delicious! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

5. Carole says:

I think I would call these truffles. they look great.

I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in an attempt at meatballs. Have a super week.

6. Your brownie bites look amazing! I love the idea of rolling them in coconut.

7. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

8. April Harris says:

Oh wow, these sound good! I like every single one of the ingredients, and the idea of putting them together as you have delights me! The toasted coconut is the perfect finishing touch!

9. I have made these before, and they are DELICIOUS. I have never had them with toasted coconut before, or in ball form. Sounds like two more steps to make them even better.

Thanks for linking up to Healthy 2Day Wednesday! Hope to see you again tomorrow.

10. Rachael says:

I made these after my aunt sent the link to me. I did have a few variations. I didn’t have walnuts so I subbed 1 c of slivered almonds. I also added about a tablespoon of blue green algae to the mix. My son didnt like his rolled in coconut so I left some unrolled. I also used maple syrup with vanilla stevia drops.
    These are similar in taste to the superfood chocolate balls I make which are different superfood powders with chocolate included and I add in coconut oil and honey to get it to “dough” consistency. Also your date based ones are stickier than mine which I dont mind but my son doesn’t like getting dirty. lol Thanks for sharing the recipe. Super yum!