Lemon Raspberry Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan

Lemon Raspberry Muffins - GF Vegan & Sugar Free

Nothing beats a fresh muffin on a lazy weekend morning.  I created these today, and my oh my, they are delish!!

Before you think I am getting a bit carried away with prunes….let me explain the baking science behind using them.  When cooking gluten free and egg free, you need to do things to help bind in place of eggs (banana, flax seed, chia seed, applesauce, prunes, etc).  Prunes do this.  It also adds lots of tender moisture without the fat so you you don’t have a crumbly, dry, “Oh lord get me a glass of water just to get this down!” baked good.  No one wants a chalky texture..yuck!  And any gluten free baker knows, it certainly DOES happen!!  To keep them low-fat and tender,  I used applesauce and prunes in this recipe, which also double as sweeteners!

You won’t be disappointed, these are great and full of fresh summer flavor!

Lemon Raspberry Muffins - Gluten Free & Vegan

Yield: 1 dozen large muffins

Lemon Raspberry Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan

• Wet:
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but it heightens the lemon flavor)
  • Zest of one lemon (use a Microplane!)
  • Squeeze of fresh lemon (helps with the loft when it interacts with the baking soda)
  • 1½ cup applesauce (Costco sells Organic Tree Top now, 4 large jars)
  • 3 oz pureed prunes (I used one jar of baby food)
  • ¼ cup light olive oil (not extra virgin!) or other oil of choice
  • 2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (or any berry really)
  • Dry:
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • ¾ cup teff flour (or oat, millet, more brown rice)
  • ½ cup tapioca flour
  • ½ cup palm sugar or other granulated sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon guar gum
  • (You can replace the gum and flours with 2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  1. Method:
  2. Mix the wet ingredients together through the oil.
  3. Whisk in the sugar, soda, baking powder, salt, guar gum, and lemon juice.
  4. Whisk in all flours.
  5. Fold in raspberries. Should look like a typical muffin batter.
  6. Pour into greased muffin tin, and bake in a 375 degree oven for 18-22 minutes until muffin tops are just firm and set.

Lemon Raspberry Muffins - Gluten Free & Vegan

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Breads & Muffins, Breakfast, Vegan
26 comments on “Lemon Raspberry Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan
  1. Hi Tessa. Fun recipe. I love that you used prunes because they're also a great natural sweetener. The raspberries and lemon sound divine for a weekend breakfast or snack for that matter!

I'm hosting Whole Food Wednesdays at beyondthepeel.net. I hope you'll swing by for a visit and share.

Have a great rest of your week Tessa.

2. Thanks for sharing these at Healthy Vegan Fridays Tessa! They look absolutely delicious, I’m deifnitely bookmarking these!

3. Tessa, absolutely perfect! Prunes also offer other advantages as well ☺ Thanks so much for sharing this week in our linky! Our raspberries are just coming in so I look forward to trying this out as a breakfast treat one morning!

4. Love all of the fruits you’ve added to this recipe. Looks very healthy and definitely allergy-friendly! :)

5. Wow, this looks great and colorful! I would love for you to share this at Healthy 2day Wednesdays this week up until Saturday evening and also add your other healthy posts each week! Blessings!

6. Erin says:

These look so tasty!!! I LOVE berry muffins! I’m going to give them a try!

7. thanks for linking with Kids in the Kitchen! this looks amazing!!!

Tressa, these are awesome Lemon Raspberry Muffins! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

9. Carole says:

Lovely berry dish. Berries and currants are this week’s subject for Food on Friday. Would you be happy to link this in? We are looking to create a fantastic collection of berry dishes. This is the link .

10. Oh, Tessa! How I love your recipes! I look forward to what you post with us at Kids in the Kitchen Tuesday and Healthy 2Day Wednesdays. This looks ah-mazing!! I am going to have to make it! I think I will substitute the teff for spelt (since I still have not tried teff) and I will use my lemon essential oil for the lemon extract and zest! :) Can’t wait till next week to see what you have to share! Blessings

11. Diane Balch says:

I am curious as to how the prune tastes in this muffin? What does it contribute?

12. April Harris says:

I like the flavour prunes add to baked goods as well. Your Lemon Raspberry muffins sound so delicious – a wonderful seasonal treat!

13. I agree, lemon extract does wonders for baked goods to enhance the lemon flavor — in my book, it is a must! Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

14. Cathy says:

Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week!
    Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy
    APeekIntoMyParadise.com
    #TastyTuesdays

15. Cathy says:

Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know I am sharing your wonderful recipe tomorrow in my Gluten-Free Recipe RoundUp with a link back to your original post!
    Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy from APeekIntoMyParadise.com

16. Tessa, I’ve featured your Lemon Raspberry muffins in my Hearth and Soul post this week. I really like how you’ve used the prunes in them, both for flavour and nutrition. They look like they would make a wonderful breakfast any day!

17. Raia says:

Thanks for sharing these at Savoring Saturdays! They sound wonderful! :)
    Raia recently posted…Quick Fix Dark Hot Chocolate ShotsMy Profile

18. Anjanette says:

These do look so Summery and yummy!! We have wild salmon berries here that are much like raspberries or blackberries. I bet they’d be perfect in muffins! Thanks for linking up to Wellness Wednesday!
    Anjanette recently posted…5 Easy Pick-Me-Ups That You CAN Do – Yes, You! (Wellness Wednesday 2/19/14)My Profile

19. Kristine says:

Hi! I found you from Whole New Mom! This recipe looks great! Enlighten me!! Why not Extra Virgin olive oil??? Thank you!!

20. These look SO delicious and beautiful! I’m visiting from Simple Lives Thursday — congratulations on your feature! :)
    ~ Christine