Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Cereal – Gluten Free & Vegan

Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Cereal - GF & VeganI have fond memories of growing up eating hot cereal. It was comfort food.  It was tasty.  It was cozy.  It was Cream of Wheat!  Not one to be deterred, going gluten free has opened up a whole new world of delicious, wholesome, and unique grains to me.  I am grateful!  I never would have discovered millet or teff, two of my favorite grains now.  Nutritionally, they make wheat look paltry!  Even if you aren’t gluten free, give some new grains a whirl, your taste buds will thank you for the change in flavor and texture profiles. This is a recipe I adapted from Peas and Thank You cookbook.  I saw the recipe and instantly had to have it…pumpkin?  Creamy cereal?  I AM IN!  Enjoy warm and cozy fall comfort food at it’s finest!

Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Cereal

• 1 cup vanilla non-dairy milk
  • 1 cup water (or more to thin to desired consistency)
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree (Please refer to this post for how to bake your own squash or pumpkin)
  • 2-4 tablespoons palm sugar (more or less to suit your tastes, I use part stevia)
  • ¼ cup gluten free oat flour* (see below for alternate options)
  • 2 tablespoons millet flour*(see below for alternate options)
  • 12 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons almond butter (or sunflower seed butter to keep it nut free)
  1. Combine the milk, water, pumpkin puree, and sugar in a small saucepan.
  2. Whisk in the flours and cinnamon until the lumps are removed. Turn heat on medium, and cook gently, stirring frequently until the cereal is thick and creamy, about 5-7 minutes. The cereal will thicken as it cools.
  3. Serve with a dollop of almond butter.

**Alternate grain notes: I have used flour versions of these grains to achieve the creamy texture. You could use all oat flour or all millet, or really any combo of grains you choose.  If you do not have the flours on hand, you could whir the whole grains in a coffee grinder until a flour is achieved.  You could also puree the whole cooked grains in food processor at the end of cooking time to make them creamy.  I have not personally tried this technique..let me know if you do and how it works out!Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Cereal - GF & Vegan

This recipe was shared on Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Tuesday Greens, Traditional Tuesday, GF Tuesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not, GF Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Tasty Traditions, Thank Your Body, Full Plate Thursday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday,

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Breakfast, Vegan
26 comments on “Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Cereal – Gluten Free & Vegan
  1. Anonymous says:

This makes my mouth water just looking at the picture! I must try this! I am wondering if you could incorporate some egg in to this for a little protein. I will let you know if I get brave and try adding the egg. :o)

2. Tessa says:

I would whisk an egg into the mixture before you heat everything and it should work great! The almond butter has good protien too, and another option would be to stir in some favorite protien powder or more chopped & toasted nuts! Hope it tuns out well!

3. Yum! I can't wait to make this. We have always loved Cream of Wheat in our home, but my husband has a wheat allergy. Thanks for this fantastic fall alternative!

4. Laura W says:

This is brilliant. WHY did I not think of making a hot cereal with millet flour before??? We used all millet flour, mostly water. Left out the milk and sugar. Stirred in cranberries, raisins, goji berries, a swirl of hemp milk and a swirl of maple syrup. SO GOOD! Thank you for the wonderful idea. Next I have to try those chewy pumpkin cookies:-)

5. Tessa says:

@ Laura, I am so glad you love as much as I do…all the fun things you can add in too to up the nutritional profile…endless! Thank your for sharing your tweaks!

6. I almost made this, and then I realized that I had left my cooked pumpkin on the counter all night long:( Bummer! Next time I'll definitely make it! Thanks for sharing with our flu fighting link up, and come back tomorrow with a green tea recipe!

7. This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for linking it up to 5 Flu-Fighting Foods! We hope you'll come back tomorrow to link up a green tea recipe–and find out who each of us chose for our top 3 favorite breakfast recipes!

8. This sounds wonderful. I've always wanted to like Cream of Wheat/ porridge and just never could, but your recipe sounds wonderful! I love the flavours you have used for this healthy breakfast. Thank you for sharing it with Let's Do Brunch.

9. Chaya says:

What a great combination for a breakfast cereal. Something different with a great taste. This is being featured at Let's Do Brunch.

10. April & Chaya…hope you get time to try it…a great breakfast with staying power, thank you for hosting and letting me share!

11. This recipe looks amazing! I try to have a 'liquid' meal for breakfast each day, but as it's getting colder and colder out there, my icy smoothies are getting less appetizing. I can't wait to try this warm and delicious sounds breakfast. Thank you for sharing!

12. Enjoy Q of Q, I do often!! I don;t crave icy smoothies when it's cold either, an aryuvedic thing I guess!!

13. This was AMAZING!! I adopted you this month & made this recipe – for dinner one night AND breakfast the next day! :) It has definitely become a staple in my house!

14. Cynthia L. says:

Cream of Wheat has always been a favorite in this house, but I now look forward to trying this!

15. Heidi says:

What a creative recipe. I’d love for you to link this up at my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and linked up this and any other idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

16. Heidi says:

What a creative recipe. I’d love for you to link this up at my Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy and linked up this and any other idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

17. Heidi says:

Sorry my comment appears a few times. Your spam filter kept telling me it wasn’t working.

18. Heidi says:

This is one of those days when I wish there was a delete button for comments! I just checked my party, and you already linked some great ideas (including this one). I think I need to go back to bed and get some more sleep!

19. Kammie @ Sensual Appeal says:

This looks like an awesome breakfast :)

20. Crunchy4Life says:

Vanilla coconut milk would be excellent. This is a great breakfast & smoothie alternative bc you really shouldn’t consume cold drinks when it’s cold out, just room temp or warmer & im getting sick of bacon & eggs. And if you’re adding a grain, you should also add a touch of an acid to release the phytic acid found in the grain, unabling proper digestion & absorbtion & let it “soak” overnight before cooking. I guess you could bake it in the morning.

Pumpkin for breakfast, it looks delicious. Have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

22. Another awesome pumpkin recipe of yours I’m going to have to try! Thanks for sharing it, I’ve pinned it :)

23. Stephanie says:

How fun! I’ve done pumpkin in assorted baked goods, but never in hot cereal. I might give it a try with some winter squash I already have. Buckwheat might be a another grain option for those trying to avoid oats, as it’s what I usually use in the place of oatmeal.

24. I love creamy breakfast cereals and this one sounds perfect for Fall.
    Thanks for sharing it on Natural Living Monday!

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great weekend!

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Cereal – Gluten Free & Vegan"
  1. [...] Creamy Pumpkin Breakfast Cereal [...]