I asked Adrienne over at Whole.New.Mom if I could share her wonderful recipe on my blog. She is a very talented mom blogger, check her out! Chocolate and coconut….need I say more?! These bars are HUGE improvement from the original candy bar…and you can read all the ingredients! These are not soft and squishy like the original bars, but have a lovely crunchy topping. I have tweaked the recipe only slightly here. You can see Adrienne’s original recipe too for more ingredient substitutions! These would make a fun candy to give away for the holidays…IF you’re feeling generous!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
6-8 Tbsp cocoa powder (I used 8, of course!)
3 Tbsp honey or agave
1 tsp vanilla
7 Tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup granulated sweetener (I used organic cane sugar)
2 tsp arrowroot powder (cornstarch may be substituted)
Almonds halves or slices (optional)
- Toast 1/2 of the coconut in the oven by spreading on a cookie sheet and placing in the preheated oven for 3-4 minutes. The coconut will be golden brown and smell toasted!
- Melt oil in small pan and add coconut. Stir.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer and stir until it thickens a bit.
- Once the chocolate is hardened, gently smooth the coconut mixture on top.
- Place slivered or whole almonds on top. Place bars back in the freezer until hardened. Again, the fridge will work, but it will take longer.
- Slice into squares of desired size and enjoy! They’ll probably be too hard to cut right out of the freezer so you may need to let them thaw a bit first.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.