Creamy Ham & Potato Chowder, Dairy Free

Ham Potato Chowder - Dairy & Gluten Free

Fall and Winter almost beg for the warm comfort of creamy soups.  I am sure it has something to do with all that chilly weather, but nothing satisfies on a cool evening better than a steaming bowl of soup.

I love this soup because it goes together so quickly with relatively few, simple ingredients.  There is nothing too fancy for a wary child’s palette, and it is creamy without being laden with cream and fat. You won’t believe there is no cream in this recipe!!

This would be delicious with with either my Corn-Free Millet Cornbread or Gluten and Dairy Free Biscuits.

LUNCHBOX TIP:  This soup travels well in a thermos for lunch!

PALEO OPTION: I have use half sweet potato and half cauliflower to replace the white potato in this, and any grain free flour can be used..I would suggest part almond, part coconut (reduce by 2 tablespoons, coconut flour is more absorbent).  For AIP, use only cauliflower, and only use a small amount of coconut flour if you want it thicker!  Leave the butter out, unless you tolerate ghee!

**It is important to note that ‘plain‘ non-dairy milks often contain some sugar.  For savory dishes like this, I like to be sure and use an ‘unsweetened‘ variety, which will be stated explicitly on the carton.  You can also look at the grams of sugar on the nutrition label to be sure.

Creamy Ham & Potato Chowder, Dairy Free

• 3½ cups peeled and diced potatoes (I used a mixture of yellow and red. Yellow are more creamy I have also taken to using half cauliflower instead to increase the nutrients...no one can tell the difference!)
  • ⅔ cup diced celery
  • 1 medium chopped onion
  • ½ pound diced cooked ham (I used thinly sliced deli ham)
  • 3 cups chicken or veggie broth
  • 5 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread, or butter
  • 5 tablespoons brown rice flour (or any rice flour)
  • 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk** (I used unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk, in the green carton)
  • ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
  • Optional Garnishes: cooked chopped bacon, shredded cheese, sliced green onion
  1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham, and broth of choice in a stockpot
  2. Bring to a boil and gently simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
  3. Lightly mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher, right inside the stockpot, no need to remove them first. This mashing helps deliver the dairy-free creaminess to the soup.
  4. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to remove any lumps. Add to the stockpot and whisk to blend.
  5. Pour in the milk while whisking.
  6. Cook until smooth and creamy.
  7. Add in salt and pepper to taste, and pinch of cayenne wouldn't hurt either!

Easy Creamy Ham & Potato Soup -Dairy & Gluten Free

This recipe was shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesday, Tuesday Greens, GF Tuesday, Waste Not Want Not, GF Wednesday, Health 2Day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Thanks Your Body, Tasty Traditions, Pennywise Platter, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Fight back Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Lunchbox Love, Paleo AIP ROundtable,

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Main Dish, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Soups
25 comments on “Creamy Ham & Potato Chowder, Dairy Free
  1. yum! love how it's creamy without the dairy! i think i will definitely be giving this a try!

~Michelle @ The G-Free Wifey

2. Linda says:

I love any kind of potato chowder. I was so pleased when I went dairy free to find that almond milk worked just as well as dairy milk in my chowder recipes. I haven't tried coconut milk because one of my kids is picky about the taste of it. This recipe looks really good, and I'm sure you're right that it would be good for a lunch box meal.

3. Tessa says:

@ Linda: find the So Delicious brand to have the least coconut flavor of any of the brands I have tried. If your son still shies from it (I'd be surprised) it disappears in baked goods! You're right though, any non-dairy milk usually works great. Some leave aftertastes, as I am sure you know. I like how the coconut milk varieties are a little thicker too.

4. Annaliese says:

Chowders are my favorite soups, and it's been daunting for me to attempt to make them gluten-free. I'll have to try out this recipe!

5. Tessa says:

@ Annaliese: I am glad this recipe gives you courage…the whole point of my blog!! If you have questions, please shoot them my way…via my facebook page would be easiest, or another comment!

6. I tried this last night and doubled it! But, I only used on onion still! I used chicken broth and Water. Added turkey bacon instead of Ham! Very delicious! A keeper recipe! thank you very much!

7. Tessa says:

Glad you enjoyed it!

8. Anonymous says:

I was going to ask if anyone has used another dairy-free milk besides coconut. I want to try this but am sensitive to the coconut taste myself. :)kirsten

9. Tessa says:

I would try unsweetened almond or rice!

10. Anonymous says:

double yum! my family loved it!kirsten

11. Nisrine says:

I love this healthy version of a classic. It sounds delicious.

12. I think this is what we'll try tonight for dinner. I was going to do ham & bean, but potatoes don't take as much preparation as dried beans. Plus, I just love creamy potato chowders. And, I made homemade chicken broth from our whole chicken. It simmered in the crockpot all night and smells/looks so rich. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I'll let you know how it turns out.

13. This looks so hearty and warming, and easy to make! Thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night, look forward to seeing you again soon!

14. April @ The 21st Century Housewife says:

What a lovely comforting chowder for a cold day! I love how you have made it dairy free without compromising any of the flavour or texture :)

15. Chris @ Family Meal Ideas says:

I don’t need to miss this delicious creamy ham potato! And I can’t wait to try this!! I love that you can fill this up with almost anything!! :-)

16. Tiya says:

I just made this for dinner and it is SO GOOD! I didn’t have celery so I used celery seed. MMmmmm! Thanks!

17. Rebekah says:

I made this tonight. I don’t generally like potato soup but my husband loves it so I thought I’d give it a whirl. As a side note, I made the “best whole chicken in a crockpot” last night from the blog 100 days of real food and used her tip to make chicken stock in the crockpot overnight. So today, I had fresh stock. And myself, the hubby, and 2 out of 3 kids GOBBLED it up! It was seriously restaurant quality. I should mention that we can do dairy so I used organic whole milk, but since it’s so rich I used 1/2 the recommended amount. Cut back a tiny bit on the fat and used rice flour and cayenne like called for. Man it was the BEST soup I’ve had in s long time!! Thank you!!!

18. Michelle says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Being dairy free has not been a big deal for me until it got chilly and I had a craving for my potato soup. I will definitely give this a try!
    Michelle recently posted…Cinnamon Pear Baked OatmealMy Profile

19. I need to make this soon! Sounds really good :)
    Marianne @ Ragdoll Kitchen recently posted…Apple-Fennel Green JuiceMy Profile

20. Lue says:

This is FABULOUS! Didn’t make any changes and bought the coconut milk you recommended. FABULOUS!!

21. Sounds delicious! Thank you for linking up to Healthy 2Day Wednesday!

22. Jacqueline says:

Soy worked great, too. Hard to find unsweetened soy milk but we get ours at Trader Joe’s.