Fall and Winter almost beg for the warm comfort of creamy soups. I am sure it has something to do with all that chilly weather, but nothing satisfies on a cool evening better than a steaming bowl of soup.
I love this soup because it goes together so quickly with relatively few, simple ingredients. There is nothing too fancy for a wary child’s palette, and it is creamy without being laden with cream and fat. You won’t believe there is no cream in this recipe!!
LUNCHBOX TIP: This soup travels well in a thermos for lunch!
**It is important to note that ‘plain‘ non-dairy milks often contain some sugar. For savory dishes like this, I like to be sure and use an ‘unsweetened‘ variety, which will be stated explicitly on the carton. You can also look at the grams of sugar on the nutrition label to be sure.
- 3½ cups peeled and diced potatoes (I used a mixture of yellow and red. Yellow are more creamy)
- ⅔ cup diced celery
- 1 medium chopped onion
- ½ pound diced cooked ham (I used thinly sliced deli ham)
- 3 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 5 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread, or butter
- 5 tablespoons brown rice flour (or any rice flour)
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk** (I used unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk, in the green carton)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Optional Garnishes: cooked chopped bacon, shredded cheese, sliced green onion
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham, and broth of choice in a stockpot
- Bring to a boil and gently simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Lightly mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher, right inside the stockpot, no need to remove them first. This mashing helps deliver the dairy-free creaminess to the soup.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to remove any lumps. Add to the stockpot and whisk to blend.
- Pour in the milk while whisking.
- Cook until smooth and creamy.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste, and pinch of cayenne wouldn’t hurt either!
This recipe was shared on Sunday Night Soup Night, It’s a Keeper, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Thursday’s Treasures, Show Off Your Stuff, Creative Juice Thursday, Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday, GF Friday, Fill Those Jars Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Gallery of Favorites,