Crunchy Millet Banana Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan

Crunchy Millet Almond Bananas - Gluten Free & Vegan
Another muffin creation for the muffin addicts in my life.  I’ve said before, I will say it again…muffins are great for sneaking all sorts of healthy things into kids. These muffins are no exception!
Contrary to most store-bought varieties that border more on cupcakes, you can feel good about eating these.  Very moist, slightly crunchy, and oh so delicious!
What about you?  What is your favorite muffin?
LUNCHBOX TIP: These make a great whole grain for a lunchbox.  Make a few extra for wrapping individually and placing in the freezer for lunchbox days.
Crunchy Millet Banana Muffins w/ Chocolate Chips

• 2 very ripe bananas (lots of brown or black spots), mashed
  • 3 tablespoons almond butter (or any nut/seed butter, I have even used coconut butter for my sons nut & seed free version!)
  • ½ cup palm sugar (or cane sugar, or brown)
  • 3 tablespoons oil (like light olive oil or melted coconut)
  • ½ cup non-dairy milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ cup whole millet, lightly pulsed in a spice grinder to make a chunky meal (or millet flour if you don't want to bother with this step, but the chunks of broken millet give a fun crunchy texture to the muffin. If you can get your hands on millet grits, that would work here too)
  • ½ cup tapioca starch (or any starch)
  • ¾ cup gluten free oat flour
  • ¼ cup teff flour (or more oat)
  • 3 T chia meal (optional), you could also use flax meal...this is only for additional nutrition
  • ½ teaspoon guar gum
  • 1½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Prepare your 12 muffin tin (grease or liners)
  3. In a medium bowl, mash the banana with the almond butter, sugar, oil, milk and vanilla. You can also puree the whole bit in a blender or use an immersion blender...all ways work well.
  4. Put millet into a spice grinder and pulse a few times to partially break the grain up.
  5. Whisk in the dry ingredients, including the millet grits.
  6. Mix in the chocolate chips if you like. The batter should look like a typical muffin batter, slightly thick, but still roughly pourable.
  7. Fill muffin tins ¾ full.
  8. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, and check the tops by pressing your finger gently, if they are still doughy, bake for another 2-3 minutes until the top springs back and feels done. Do not over-bake.

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Breads & Muffins, Breakfast, Vegan
15 comments on “Crunchy Millet Banana Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan
  1. Amber says:

These look great Tessa! I love that you use teff in recipes. We are such fans of this amazing grain. I will be making these soon I'm sure. :-)

Be Well,
    –Amber

2. Laura says:

This looks fantastic! It's funny I think of you as a good friend now even though I've never met you :) Thanks for always inspring me-your recipes are always delicious!

3. Tessa says:

@Amber….I adore teff, and it follows nicely with my mantra of putting as much nutrition as possible into my recipes! Teff is one reason I am so glad to have gone gluten free…i never would have discovered this grain otherwise.
    @Laura…how kind of you to say!
    Please, if either of you test this recipe out, let me know if I can improve the way the recipe is written or is something doesn't turn out. I need recipe testers!

4. I love a good muffin and I'd so love to get my hands on some teff flour one day. Sadly I've never seen it here in Australia… yet.

5. Tessa says:

@Emma – What a bummer! I would bet you could could get it online…I get loads of gluten free goodies and pantry staples online as they are often cheaper. Does Amazon.com come to your parts? They have teff flour in many forms for what I pay for it in the store….check it out!

6. Ooh. Ooh. I LOVE the combo of the teff and the millet. I will so be making these. What a nutritionally packed muffin! Such a great recipe!

7. Saundra says:

I have a hard time using starches in my baking. Would coconut flour or something work to replace the starch?
    I found your website recently and have been able to try a few recipes. The latest was the 5minute muffin. Loved it! It was a definite hit.

• MMM! i bet coconut flour would be tasty, use slightly less since coconut flour is a real liquid sucker! Maybe 1/3 cup! let me know how it works, i am glad you liked the 5 minute muffins, welcome!

8. Lauryn says:

Some of these ingredients are ones that i have been experimenting with in our recipes. I can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks for linking up to motivation Monday!

9. Becky says:

We should give these a go with sunbutter for our little one. They’d be a great breakfast to make to have enough for a few days. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Greens!

10. Norma says:

I would love to try these but I can’t have bananas is there something I can sub for this I’m allergic to bananas :/ thanks

11. Lisa Lynn says:

Yum! I love muffins and these are making me hungry! Thanks for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday!

12. These look prefect for breakfast this weekend! YUM Got them pinned to our Gluten Free Fridays board! Thanks for linking up!

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Crunchy Millet Banana Muffins – Gluten Free & Vegan"