This recipe is out of this world. Do you think I thought that when I originally saw it? Nope, most definitely not! But all the interesting ingredients totally made me curious, and as many recipes as were out there…this HAD to be tasty! And let me tell you…it did NOT disappoint!
Janelle @ Gluten Freely Frugal originally got my creative juices flowing with her version of this popular Cuban dish. See, sometimes you do and sometimes you don’t need cooking classes when there are fantastic online resources out there! All the flavors marry so perfectly in this dish, and the whole family has loved this both times I have made it. Even my picky dad went back for seconds…always a good sign! Give this a go, it is so easy to make a real, family-pleasing dinner!
GRAIN-FREE/PALEO NOTE: Rather than serving this over rice, we love this served atop garlic mashed sweet potatoes. Boil sweet potatoes until tender and puree in the food processor with allowed butter/ghee, couple cloves garlic, and salt! I bet garlic mashed plantains would be good too!
- 1 pound (about) ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (I used a sweet yellow), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Optional: 1 can black beans, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sauteed plantains
- Heat a large pan with a lid over medium heat.
- Saute the ground beef, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- When the beef is mostly cooked through, add the remaining ingredients (add the black beans here as well if you so choose).
- Bring to a low simmer, and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes to let the flavors meld and permeate one another.
- Serve atop a bed rice or garlic sweet potato mash and garnish with chopped cilantro and avocado.
This recipe was shared on Tasteful Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, , Traditional Tuesdays. Hearth & Soul Healthy 2Day Wednesday, GF Wednesday,Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Seasonal Celebration Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday,