Thank you to Linda @ Gluten Free Homemaker for putting together such a great event! Linda has pooled together 10 experts who each have chosen an area to focus on for daily, brief tips relating to starting or maintaining a gluten free lifestyle. You will need to visit each individual blog to see their daily tips and advise. I am happy to be participating and will be sharing tips on lunchboxes and snacks!
Here are the topics I’ve covered in this series of lunchboxes: Reusable Lunchbox Wares, Sweet GF Wrap Ideas, Packing a Balanced Lunchbox, Stocking Up w/ an Oatmeal Snack Cookie, Lunch on a Stick, GF DF Dips & Spreads for a Lunchbox, 10 GF Wrap Ideas, Making Use of Leftovers, Muffins & Waffles for a Lunchbox?!, Top Foods for a Healthy Lunchbox,
Today’s Theme: Dips & Spreads
Dips and spreads are an easy way to add zing to any vegetable, sandwich, or fruit within a lunchbox. Some dips are substantial enough to eat alone, and some are perfect for coercing interest in those fruits and vegetables that sometimes get ignored within a child’s lunchbox. Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing!
- Hot Nacho ‘Cheese’ Dip: You know the nasty processed stuff they serve at concessions that all kids love? Well I have one made with all wholesome ingredients, dairy free, gluten free, and it tastes JUST LIKE the fake cheese stuff! Uncanny!
- Smoked Turkey & Vegetable Dip: Delicious with your favorite cracker, rolled up in a wrap, or scooped up with crunchy Romain or endive spears…this is one of my favorite light lunches!
- Artichoke Dip: Not your typical creamy cheese laden one, this is a light and fresh dip that can used to liven up any wrap or sandwich, as a cracker or crostini dip, or with fresh veggies.
- Hummus: With more recipes than you can shake a stick at, pick your favorite rendition and consider adding the following to personalize it: sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, pickled jalepenos, chipotle puree
- Curry Ranch Dressing @ Gluten Free Goddess: i would leave the curry out, but this looks great, and I LOVE cashew cream! I have also made a cream of soaked raw sunflower seeds, quite tasty in this application!
- Mayonnaise-Style w/ no Mayo Veg Dip @ Whole New Mom: Perfect for all you veggie dipping! Looks outstanding!
SWEET (all healthy and not a dessert in-hiding!):
- Apple-Cinnamon-Yogurt Dip: consider using a plain allowed yogurt and using honey or stevia to taste. Commercial flavored yogurt has as much sugar as a candy bar, avoid it if you can! Another strategy is to mix a sweetened container w/ half plain to reduce the sugar by half.
- Caramel Yogurt Dip: I would use palm sugar instead!
- Raw Salted Caramel Dip@ My New Roots: Good land, this stuff is AMAZING!
- Fruit Salsa: This is always a hit, and very easily adaptable to personal preferences. I usually leave the additional sugar out, or add a little bit of honey with the lime juice!
- Marshmallow Creme Dip: I made my own honey sweetened marshmallow creme and mixed it with an equal amount of allowed cream cheese and enough milk to achieve the consistency I was looking for….delicious!
- Low-Fat Peanut Butter Dip: One of my favorites…which I rarely make now since my son is IgE positive for peanuts…we avoid them and don’t buy peanut products. Sigh! So stinkin good!Don’t forget to visit each blog to see other helpful advise and hints!Getting Started – Linda @ The Gluten-Free HomemakerResources – Wendy @ Celiacs in the HouseTraveling – Karen @ Gluten-Free Travel BlogEating Out – Heather @ Gluten-Free Cat
Frugal Tips – Janelle @ Gluten Freely Frugal
Cooking – Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl
Baking – Jules @ Jules Gluten Free
Kids – Lynn @ Lynn’s Recipe Adventures
Shopping – Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry
“10 Days of Gluten Free” Bob’s Red Mill Giveaway!
For this series, I will be offering one lucky reader a $25 Bob’s Red Mill gift card! Here are the rules:
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- You are allowed one entry per “10 Days of Gluten Free” blog post for a total of 10 entries on this blog.
- Enter by leaving a comment (WITH an email address to contact you) on this post (and other 10 Days of GF posts).
- The giveaway begins May 7, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm eastern time on May 18, 2012.
- Odds of winning are based on the number of entries.
- The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email.
- The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen!
This post was shared at These Chicks Cooked, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Full Plate Thursday, Creative Thursday, Thriving on Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Wellness Weekends, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Freaky Friday,Kids in the Kitchen, Lunchbox Love, Foodie Friday, Sugar Free Sunday, Mix it Up Monday, My Meatless Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Monday Mania, Creative Corner, The Better Mom’s Monday Linky, Real Food 101, Tasty Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,