This post is part of May 2013 Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten Free over at Shirley’s GFE! Come visit to see all the recipes under the theme” “When You’re Grain Free and Feeling Like a Nut, But Don’t Eat Tree Nuts or Peanuts”
Peanut Butter Chocolate Lara Bars were my eldest daughter’s very favorite flavor of Lara bars. And really, who can blame her?! Peanut butter and chocolate are such a great combination. When my son’s hives pointed to peanuts, we knew we needed to get all peanuts out of the house.
It took a few tries, but my girls love sunflower seed butter as much as they ever loved peanut butter. We go through one homemade batch a week! And when we shifted towards a more Paleo lifestyle, sunflower seeds were already well established and loved in our house.
I am not sure why it took me so long to think of recreating my daughter’s favorite Lara bar with sunflower seeds as a base…but life is like that sometimes. The obvious kind of lurks in the recesses until one day, BAM! You have an epiphany.
I am happy to report the whole family loved these bars, and my daughter has her favorite flavor back!
Here are couple other raw energy bars that are portable and convenient for on-the-go snacks!
- Chocolate Cranberry Lara Bars (they really DO taste like a brownie)
- Raw Cashew Cookie Balls
- Raw Fudge Brownie Bites
- Place tasted sunflower seeds into the bowl of a food processor (I seriously LOVE mine, and have used it for over a decade!). Whir for a couple of minutes and watch as the sunflower seeds turn into a flour and then start to clump up a bit as it converts towards a butter!
- Add in your dates and salt, and process to break up and pulverize the dates. Mixture should be sticky and press together easily. If not, add a tablespoon or two of melted coconut oil.
- Add in chocolate chips and pulse a few times just to mix.
- Press the sticky batter into an 8 x 8 or comparably sized pan. I like to line with waxed paper for easy removal.
- Press the mixture evenly into the dish.
- Refrigerate or freeze to firm up, then slice up into desired shapes & size.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!