Ok, so we all love bacon..at least many of us do. But what happens when you look to buying from your local farmers for responsibly raised meat and things you have never heard of come back to you in white paper packages?
Enter Beyond Bacon.
I have followed Matt and Stacy of the Paleo Parents for some time. I respect that they took their health into their own hands by drastically stepping away from the SAD (Sad American Diet) into the real food world. It is not an easy step, and doing it with three little kids too makes it that much harder. But they’ve done it! And they have seen the drastic results diet can have in people’s lives. How abstract things like behavior and ADD really CAN be affected by the foods we eat (if you want to read some on my daughter’s story, I wrote about it sometime back).
I admit, I was bit skeptical about the whole concept of Beyond Bacon when Matt & Stacy started talking about it a year ago. I was thinking, “A whole book devoted to pork?! I wonder how useful that will be?”
I am happy to report I was wrong! The cookbook is loaded with easy to use recipes of all shapes and sizes…some fancy, some casual, some baked, some roasted. The best part is, as my family and I have moved toward sourcing our meats from local farmer’s, I can discover new uses for parts of this humble animal I had never thought to use! Buying from a farmer pretty much guarantees I am picky about how my animals are treated and how they are raised. I have watched too many documentaries (like Food Inc) and read too many books (like Omnivores Dilemma) to buy my meat just anywhere. I know too much and I refuse to support factory farms. I love the cookbook’s subtitle: Paleo Recipes That Respect The Whole Hog. Because that is what I want to do, RESPECT the creatures I am eating! And what better way to do that that use ALL the parts and buying pork that has been treated with respect?
Top Reasons to buy your own copy of Beyond Bacon today (in no special order):
- Support not one, but TWO small businesses, the authors and Aimee Buxton Photography!
- It gives you an invaluable resource as you support your own local farmers by buying a whole or half of a hog!
- It saves you money! Anyone knows, allergy friendly REAL food it not cheap and most of us have grocery bills that would make the majority of people weak in the knees. Buying all or part of an animal saves you big$$!!
- BEAUTIFUL! We all like to look a pictures of food we want to eat, and this book does a stellar job. It is a beautiful to look at, cover to cover!
- Great information and well thought out sections on the WHY behind sustainably raised pork. Why for the world. Why for you body.
- Recipes you want to make! The recipes feel approachable and all the recipes I have tried were easy to follow (and yummy!). It has demystified many things I have never attempted (smoking!).
- LARD!! Fat from a pasture raised hog is a high quality fat perfect for high heat cooking. It lends a great flavor to foods and is inexpensive and easy to make!! I am LOVING this stuff, what a great, nutritious fat to have on hand, and THIS book got me going! (Ten years ago I would have balked at lard!)
Nice work Matt & Stacy!! Thanks for being such great representatives to this community of real foodies!Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!