So even though I can’t do gluten for now…I still I have a mean craving for yummy, wholesome and whole grain baked goods.
Lots of people think that going gluten-free is healthy. But the vast majority of popular cookbooks I have delved into have created breads and baked goods from starchy and refined flours…everything is WHITE (gasp, shriek)!!
My poor body is used to Dave’s Killer Bread people! I need some yummy whole grain goodness!
This recipe balances some whole grain flours into it, and the results are DELISH…regardless of your dietary needs (my very picky and non-food adventurous sister-in-law thought this was divine!). I tweaked a recipe from Gluten Free Girl and the Chef.
Apple Breakfast Cake - Gluten Free & Vegan
- 4 medium tart apples peeled, cored (I used Pink Lady)
- 2 tablespoons agave or honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs or Ener-G Egg Replacer and 1/2 cup warm water
- 8 tablespoons melted butter or Earth Balance or canola oil or shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup teff flour
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour cheapest deal on amazon if you do subscribe and save!
- 1/2 cup almond meal best deal at Trader Joe's
- Or replace gluten-free flours with apx 2 1/4 cups wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder I used Vance's DariFree
- 1 t guar gum omit if using wheat flour
- 1 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 t grain free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9" pan.
In a food processor, throw 3 of the apples (the rest is diced and mixed in at the end), honey, and cinnamon and puree (scrape down sides as necessary).
Continue w/ the rest of the wet ingredients and pulse a few times to thoroughly mix.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Mix in the wet.
Dice the remaining apple and mix in.
Pour into the pan.
Bake 30-40 minutes (done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean!)