I was craving oatmeal,but my kids didn’t seems too excited about the idea. I figured if I added two of their favorite things….I could entice them a bit!
This bowl of oatmeal may look sinful, but is just as nutritious as it’s plain counterpart with the added benefit of the antioxidants from the cocoa powder.
It is worth noting that the quality of the cocoa powder is very important. I tried this variation with some my mom had in her cabinet…and it left a little to be desired. When I got home, I used my Dagoba unsweetened cocoa powder...and WOW….what a difference! So use something fresh and of higher quality.
You get to control the sweetener in this one, everyone’s tastes vary! It is also worth noting that Trader Joe’s is now making their own brand of gluten free rolled oats – $3.99/pound!
Chocolate Raspberry Oatmeal
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup non-dairy milk I use So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons cranberries optional or dried cherries
- 2-3 tablespoons chia seeds optional
- 1/4 cup or more fresh or frozen raspberries optional, or any other berry
- 2 tablespoons or more high quality unsweetened cocoa powder (this is key!)
- Sweetener of choice to taste sugar, honey, stevia, etc
In a saucepan, boil the oats, milk of choice, water, salt, chia seeds, and dried fruit (if using).
Reduce heat and simmer until cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 7-10 minutes.
Stir in the berries, cocoa powder and sweetener of choice (I use frozen berries to help cool it down a bit for the kids). Yum!