I am not sure what it is about chicken fingers and nuggets that kids go nuts over, but the vast majority of kids seem to relish in this simple meal! When we first had to cut out so many foods, I had to get pretty creative with my homemade version of healthier chicken nuggets.
Whether gluten is a problem for you or not, there are loads of fun breading options out there (all of which could be subbed one to one in this recipe):
- Homemade bread crumbs – Keep the end pieces of any dry crumbly gluten-free bread, such as the heels. I have used some baking mishaps here too. Just whir the bread chunks in a high powered blender or food processor, and you have fresh bread crumbs ready to go. Just be sure to store them in the freezer because the moisture is still in them and they will mold.
- Crunched up gluten free cereals – Use cereal such as Rice Chex, Rice Crispies, or corn flakes. Crunch them up by hand (inside a bag) or in a food processor.
- Your own simple flour & spice mix – Any all-purpose gluten free flour will do, but I usually prefer brown rice, sweet rice, or regular rice flour for breading.
- Crunched up gluten free crackers
- Store bought gluten free bread crumbs – These are super expensive generally, which is why I avoid them.
Join me over at The Happy Housewife where I shared this recipe!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!