Easy Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon fat of choice
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 gloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon Fiesta Chile Powder a salt-free seasoning found in most bulk spice sections Regular chili powder is fine too
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 -4 cups chicken/veggie broth depending on how bothy you like it
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes I puree mine first for my kids, using my immersion blender!
- 2 cups shredded carrots optional, but adds some more veg!
- Salt to taste start with a teaspoon
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs or breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces (or for a vegetarian version, sub 2 cans pinto or black beans)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Not-so-optional garnishes : lime wedges, grated cabbage, chopped fresh cilantro, grated cheese (sharp cheddar, feta, cotija, and Daiya are all good , avocado, hot sauce, tortilla chips or tortillas!
Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
Add the onions and saute for 3-5 minutes until the onions are soft.
Add in the garlic and spices, stirring to mix.
Pour in the broth, pureed tomatoes, carrots, and salt .
If you are using chicken thighs, add these now too. If using chicken breasts, wait until the last 7-10 minutes to add so that they do not dry out.
Bring to boil, lower the heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
While the soup simmers, prepare your garnishes. When done simmering, add in the lime juice, and more salt if necessary. Ladle soup into bowl, topping with the garnishes of choice.
This post was shared on Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Fat Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not,Real Food Wednesday, Wellness Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday, Pure Ella Baby Shower, , Fight Back Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Savouring Saturday,