Pizza is one of those things that is hard to replicate when dairy and wheat are not on the menu anymore. And we all know almost every single kid and adult in the world LOVES pizza, so I have tackled this beast many a times in my kitchen.
First, if there is going to be ‘cheese”, in my opinion, it has to be Daiya! No other vegan cheese comes close to it’s flavor and texture!
The crust is the next obstacle…..and I have had many nasty recipes! I like the one Karina has over at Gluten Free Goddess, here. But I wanted to try a mix, as so many people prefer this option for ease and simplicity. After reading lots of reviews, I settled on Bob’s Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix ($2.57/bag through Amazon Subscribe and Save). I was quite happy with this mix! When I read the few negative comments on it, I got the impression that maybe people were not accustomed to working with gluten free pizza crust. Don’t expect a normal pizza crust, the batter (notice I say batter, not dough!!) will be much thinner! The trick is to spread or smoosh it out very thinly, with wet hands or a Silpat. I like to sandwich the batter between two Silpats and roll it out, removing the top Silpat when I am done and baking the crust right on it with the Demarle Perforated Baking Sheet. If you are working your hands, keep them damp so the batter does not stick to you!
If you can do gluten, Trader Joe’s has a great whole wheat pizza crust dough close to the lunch meats for cheap.
Enough about technique!
My family loves tacos, so I delved into the yummy world of taco pizzas! This will become a repeat recipe in our household: easy, delicious, and flexible to different tastes and ingredients on hand!
Taco Pizza - Gluten & Dairy Free
- 2 12 " pizza crusts I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten free Pizza Crust Mix
- 1 can refried beans You could use my homemade beans here, or I used Trader Joe's Salsa Style refried beans
- Grated cheddar cheese to taste I used Daiya cheddar style, jalepeño jack or feta would be good too!
- 2 cups taco meat I used some browned chicken chorizo, Field Roast makes a great vegetarian Chorizo, you could use any ground meat seasoned with your favorite taco seasonings, rotisserie chicken would be good...use you imagination or whatever is in your fridge like I did!!
- 1 package micro greens I got mine at Trader Joe's, nutrient dense!
- Garnishes to taste: diced avocado cherry tomatoes, salsa, chopped onion, squeezed lime, pickled jalepeños, chopped jicama, hot sauce
Prepare your crusts per package instructions.
Please refer to my technique hints on gluten free crusts above. I had to par-bake my crust per package instructions, you may not.
Spread crusts with refried beans.
Sprinkle your meat choice evenly, followed by the cheese.
Bake according to package instructions until hot and melted. Top with micro greens and garnishes of your choosing!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!