I just love this dinner. There are so many complex flavors singing throughout this dish: a surprisng combo of ingredients with excellent results.
I love it SO much for four reasons:
- It’s very easy and quick to make.
- It’s pretty to look at.
- It’s a one dish wonder with all the protein, veggies, and healthy fats in one spot!
- It’s unbelievably delicious, and the several people I have served it to agree.
Take advantage of the lovely fresh local asparagus in the stores right now and make this for dinner!! Your taste-buds will thank you for the flavor explosion they are about to embark on!
Recipe inspiration came via one of my favorite blogs, Gluten Free Goddess. If you haven’t checked it out yet, Karina is fabulous!
RECIPE NOTE: I eat this alone as a meal, but I boil noodles for my husband and kids. Do what works for you. I sometimes crack a soft boiled egg over the top too..magical!
VEGAN NOTE: This recipe is delicious without the addition of chicken sausage too….with noodles for a meal, or as an amazing veggie side!
DAIRY? If you can tolerate some dairy, the addition of a bit of grated parmesan or pecorino romano is excellent!
Serves: 2 Paleo-style , and 4 with the addition of noodles
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced into 3 inch diagonals (NOTE: If your spears are of the thin variety, you will want to hold them back from the initial roasting, they will only need about 5 (or less) minutes to get tender, and no one like mushy asparagus!)
- 1 pint (or more!) grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 leeks,thinly sliced
- 1-2 jalapeño or serrano peppers, seeded, diced fine (if you like more heat, leave some of the seeds in tact!)
- 4 good sized cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons raisins (really, do NOT skip this, my hubby hates raisins, but still loves this, contributes to a sweet/salty flavor combo)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- A good pinch of hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- Chopped Italian parsley for garnish (optional)
- 1 pound chicken sausage, crumbled and browned (any garlic or Italian variety will do, whatever you like)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put all the veggies onto a cookie sheet and toss with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, and chili flakes and place into a preheated oven.
- Roast for about 15-20 minutes, until the asparagus is tender and crisp but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, brown your chicken sausage.
- When the veggies come out of the oven, toss them with the sausage. Eat as is, or toss with some preferred pasta. If you can have any Parmesan or Romano, that would be good here too.