This Paleo Instant Pot chicken tinga solves a classic problem: a family pleasing, healthy meal on the table in a flash!
With the new year, so many people are eager to clean up their diets and eat well! This quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken Tinga recipe means you can still have delicious food that is good for you too! And considering it is Whole 30, Paleo, AND keto compliant, those of you working on your new year’s resolutions have a dinner you can turn to as well! Yay for Paleo Instant Pot recipes!
Chicken Tinga or tinga de pollo, is a traditional Mexican dish of tender shredded chicken bathed in a tomato-chipotle sauce! There are many versions out there, most quite fiery. But I knew I would not get away with fiery in this household, oh no!!
Around this house, Mexican food is king. It is liked by every member of the household, and I have no problem adapting it to be lower carb for me! So to recap…..kids don’t complain and they eat their whole dinner. Check. Double check.
I like to keep taco nights interesting by changing up the flavors of the meat, which is how this recipe was born. Not that my kids need anything interesting. Oh no. Serve the same 2 or three meals with minimal flavors and they’re good to go!! Who needs variety and flavor (me!)?!! By the way…the food experts who say that all you have to do is model healthy eating and your kids will follow suit……yeah, not so much. I think one day, maybe….they might look back and fondly remember and long for mom’s food in all of it’s variety and glory and might willingly…no…maybe actually ENJOY a stray vegetable or two!?
Once this flavorful Instant Pot chicken tinga is made, what you choose to DO with it is up to you (idea overload coming you way!)!
- Serve atop a bed of greens with all the fixings for a taco salad. We love my spicy slaw too.
- Serve inside any tortilla as taco…with all the fixings too of course (or some of the above mentioned slaw!!) I make these Cassava Flour Tortillas from the Urban Poser which rock!
- As a burrito bowl on a bed of rice and beans…….with…..you guessed it!! All the fixings (again!) And if you like beans, I have a bomber recipe for THE best darn pot of beans you’ll ever make that you should check out!
- I even thought making some sort of empañada inside my favorite Paleo Pie Crust would be amazing too!
- How about on top of a bed of freshly sauteed cauli rice (don’t forget the fixings!!)?
See. I told you that was a lot of ideas!
NO INSTANT POT, NO WORRIES!!
If you do NOT have an Instant Pot yet, no biggy! You can modify this for the stove or Crock Pot easily. Brown the thighs as directed than pour the sauce over the top. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the chicken is fall apart tender (or in your crockpot on high for a few hours). Watch the liquid, and if it gets too dry, add some water.
More Family Friendly Instant Pot Ideas?
I have loads of recipes perfect for a Whole 30 (or easily adapted to be so). Check out all my recipes with the Whole 30 tag!!
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless or bone in, doesn't matter)
- 1 14 ounce can tomatoes (stewed, diced, whatever!)
- ½ cup any broth
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (could add more if you like spicy heat)
- 1 small onion, chunked
- 4 cloves garlic, or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Fixing options: shredded cabbage, chopped cilantro (could be blended into the sauce too), onion, avocado, pickled jalapeño, tomato, cotija or feta (IF ALLOWED), hot sauce.
- Preheat you Instant Pot on the 'saute' feature.
- Salt and pepper your thighs, then place in a single layer in the pot to brown, do not overcrowd. Leave alone for 3-5 minutes to really crisp up and brown the sides, then flip and brown the other.
- Meanwhile, place all the remaining ingredients into your blender and puree.
- When thighs are done browning, place the remaining thighs right in over the top (could elect to brown all thighs in a few batches, but I just wanted to develop the flavor a bit and bypassed browning all of them). and pour the pureed sauce over the top.
- Lock on your lid, set your manual setting to 12 minutes.
- When it is complete, turn Instant Pot off, and natural release.
- Remove thighs and set aside to shred.
- With the remaining sauce, use the 'saute' feature to reduce the liquid by at least half.
- While the sauce reduces, shred the chicken with two forks or your fingers.
- Toss the chicken with the reduced sauce.
- Ready to serve in any style tacos, nachos, or atop a taco salad!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!