This easy taco seasoning is healthy and quick to mix together and turns any ground meat into a delicious taco meat! Either as a taco salad, in a casserole, or traditional style wrapped in a tortilla, this homemade taco seasoning makes Mexican night in your house a breeze!
For countless years I have been making ground beef (or chicken or turkey) tacos with these seasonings. It is fuss free and so easy to whip up for a quick weeknight meal. It also happens to be one of my family’s very favorite meals…..ever.
I have limited the ingredients so that I didn’t use any partial cans of anything, or have to chop ANYTHING…and that way I can always rely on my dry spices I always have on hand (hello easy camping meal!). So while I have fun sometimes adding additional things…this is my basic base recipe that is good all by its lonesome self!
Creative Adaptations For Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Achiote or ground annatto is a great traditional spice addition! It is also traditionally used a seasoning in el pastor taco meat and is a great natural orange-yellow food coloring!
- Either a chopped tomato, 1/2 cup tomato sauce and couple tablespoons tomato paste are all fun umami-building additions!
- Saute some chopped or diced onion in a bit of avocado oil first
- Finely diced red bell pepper is a tasty addition too, saute in some avocado oil before adding the ground meat.
- Like spice? Throw 1/4 teaspoon (or more) of cayenne in to the mix!
- Smoked paprika or some pureed chipotles en adobo add a lovely smokey flavor. Just be careful with the chipotle and tender spice averse pallets…they can pack a spicy punch!
Can I Make My Homemade Taco Meat Ahead of Time?
Yes! I like to make a double batch and either freeze half, or use the rest in our family favorite oven baked gluten free chimchangas! I just re purpose my beans, rice, and taco meat for a super quick dinner that everyone loves and looks forward to!
Whole30 Taco Salads – Or Keto and Low Carb Too!
This is probably one of my very favorite meals to whip up that easily adaptable to my low-carb and keto eating. I make this chipotle vinaigrette, or any avocado dressing to serve over a bed of salad with my taco meat! And if you are doing a Whole30, just stay away from the cheese! Kids get all the stuff THEY want, and I can I don’t make anything special for anyone!
Additional Paleo Mexican Food Ideas
- Gluten Free Crispy Oven Baked Chimichangas (take all the leftovers from a ground beef taco night, and make these chimis on another!)
- Instant Pot Homestyle Pinto Beans
- Carnitas (Instant Pot or not)
- Quick Mexican Eggs
- Cilantro Lime Chicken @Cassidy’s Craveable Creations
- Chipotle Chicken Street Corn Salad @Get Inspired Everyday
Easy Ground Beef Taco Meat Recipe:
Easy Ground Beef Taco Seasoning
- 1.5 pounds ground beef or any ground meat. I prefer 80-85% lean. The fat gives excellent flavor
Preheat a large 12" skillet (I exclusively use my Lodge cast iron skillet for everything!), over medium heat.
Add your ground meat, breaking it up with a sturdy spatula.
When the meat is partially cooked, add all of the seasonings. Continuing to cook and break the meat up for another few minutes until cooked through. Serve.