These quick Mexican eggs make a super quick breakfast or dinner, and are full of all your favorite Mexican flavors!
Granted, my husband and I adore Mexican food…the real stuff. But our pantry is almost always stocked with ingredients for this recipe, perfect for breakfast or dinner. It is super delicious, super easy to make, and lends itself to the creative cook who likes to add little bits of things to be used up or that suit family preferences. You could play around the ingredients a lot here….let me know if you find a winning combo, I am sure I will never make this recipe exactly the same every time myself! Enjoy!
Mexican Eggs Recipe:
- 4-8 depending on how lean you would like it slices bacon, chopped (Trader Joe's Applewood Smoked Bacon) I have also used chicken chorizo sausage in place of the bacon!
- 1 can 16 oz. refried beans (I used Trader Joe's Salsa Style) or try your hand at making your own, easily!
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles optional
- 2 teaspoons Fiesta Chili Powder a salt-free seasoning found in most bulk spice sections, optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup allowed shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions divided
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado chopped
- Warm tortillas
- Salsa I love taqueria style made by Herdez, found in Mexican food sections in a can
Brown the pieces of bacon in a 12-in. frying pan.
When browned and crispy, drain on a paper towel, discarding all but 2 tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
Add the beans, chiles, spices, and most of the green onions in the pan over medium heat, stirring often, until simmering.
Make 4 wells in beans with a spoon and crack an egg into each hole. Cook, covered, just until eggs set, about 4 minutes.
Top with cheese, remaining green onions, tomato, cilantro, avocado, and reserved bacon.
Serve with tortillas and salsa.