These quick Mexican eggs make a super quick breakfast or dinner, and are full of all your favorite Mexican flavors! Huevos al la Méxicana will take your taste buds south of the border in no time!
My husband and I adore Mexican food…the real stuff. The more authentic, the better! I have vivid memories of multiple trips to Mexico, walking to some local restaurant for a variety of eggs, beans, fresh salsa, and hand made tortillas. Such comfort food…and those fresh salsas!! Swoon! After so many trips, I knew I wanted to create something similar here at home to enjoy.
Our pantry is almost always stocked with ingredients for this recipe, perfect for breakfast or dinner.
It is super delicious, super easy to make, and lends itself to the creative cook who likes to add little bits of things to be used up or that suit family preferences.
Mexican Style Eggs Variations
You could play around the ingredients a lot here….let me know if you find a winning combo, I am sure I will never make this recipe exactly the same every time myself! Most importantly, it is important you add the thing YOU love!!
- different salsas, store bought or homemade will of course change the end flavor…and it is totally a personal preference!
- you can use a variety of meats. Chorizo is a great authentic style protein, and bacon is our other favorite.
- you can garnish with an assortment of fresh vegetables. Some ideas are quick pickled onions, avocado, cilantro, fresh tomato, pickled jalapeños, or sliced radishes.
- you can play around with the cheeses, if you tolerate them. Cotija is traditional, while I prefer a sheep milk feta. Any cheddar or jack cheeses would also be good.
- While you can certainly eat as is, serve with some warm corn tortillas, or some homemade paleo tortillas for a breakfast taco experience!
- saute some chopped chiles with the bacon (like a jalapeño or serrano) to add some heat.
Additional quick gluten free meal ideas:
Mexican Eggs Recipe:
If you try this recipe, please come back and leave a comment and a rating below!
- 4-8 slices bacon chopped (Trader Joe's Applewood Smoked Bacon) I have also used 1/2 lb chicken chorizo sausage in place of the bacon!
- 16 oz refried beans 1 can, (I used Trader Joe's Salsa Style) or try your hand at making your own, easily!
- 2 tablespoons green chiles chopped , optional
- 2 teaspoons Fiesta Chili Powder a salt-free seasoning found in most bulk spice sections, optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese dairy free or regular
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped, divided
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Salsa I love taqueria style made by Herdez, found in Mexican food sections in a can
- Warm tortillas
Brown the pieces of bacon in a 12-in. frying pan.
When browned and crispy, drain on a paper towel, discarding all but 2 tbsp. bacon fat in pan.
Add the beans, chiles, spices, and most of the green onions in the pan over medium heat, stirring often, until simmering.
Make 4 wells in beans with a spoon and crack an egg into each hole. Cook, covered, just until eggs set, about 4 minutes.
Top with cheese, remaining green onions, tomato, cilantro, avocado, and reserved bacon.
Serve with tortillas and salsa.