These perfect hemp granola bars are chewy and full of good-for-you ingredients. Making your own granola bars is exceedingly easy, rendering those expensive or loaded with junk store bought ones a thing of the past! Make an after school snack today everyone will love!
Hemp seeds and flax meal are great nutritional boosts to these healthy gluten free granola bars. Loads of fiber to help everyone feel satiated longer. I reduced the sugar considerably (while still plenty for us!), and will sometimes sub Lankanto Monkfruit for the palm sugar to reduce it even further. Either way, the healthy fat from the coconut oil slows the absorption of sugars so giant blood sugar spikes and crashes are avoided.
After school snacks are always great to have on hand. If you are like me, you want to try and make something that is kid pleasing, but still loaded with good things for their growing bodies.
Hemp seeds are a great addition into any diet for loads of reasons:
- Have omega 6’s and omega 3’s, two essential fatty acids
- They are high in fiber to keep you full longer and help with regularity.
- They have a good amount of GLA’s (Gamma Linolenic Acid), great for regulating hormones
- Research has shown them to be beneficial for lowering blood pressure and raising your good cholesterol!
These hemp granola bars will satisfy hunger and and make a great, healthy snack for your family.
Don’t forget to personalize your hemp granola bars to your own tastes with the mix ins….lots of options!!
- chopped nuts, toasted or otherwise
- any dried fruit, small pieces
- dark chocolate chips, or we used the Trader Joe’s “Rainbow Drops” here as an added treat…my kids love the bright (dye free) colors! They have the M & M style or sunflower seed style!
- coconut shreds, or toasted or not
- Chocolate topping: just make a basic bar, then melt 1/2 cup of dark chocolate and drizzle over the top of the already baked bars
Like hemp and want more recipes using them? Here are some you could try!
- Raw Brazil Nut Lime Hemp Bars
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Oat Hemp Muffins
- Whole 30 Ranch Dressing @ Whole New Mom via Worth Cooking
- Hemp Heart Porridge @ Healthful Pursuit
- Chocolate Hemp Protein Muffins @ Forest & Fauna
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Hemp Cookies @ Gluten Free Easily
Gluten Free & Vegan Hemp Granola Bars Recipe:
Whether hiking or packing a nutrient dense lunchbox, these hemp granola bars are sure to be a hit!
- 2 cup gluten free oats, toasted for additional flavor if desired
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds/hearts
- ⅓ cup flax meal, or chia meal
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil (other fats should work too)
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ⅓ cup palm sugar (or more to taste, any granulated sugar would work)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix In's: sliced toasted almonds, chocolate chips, rainbow drops, raisins, cranberries, any additional seeds or nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a 7" x 11' or 8" x 8" pan with parchment.
- In a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, gently melt the coconut oil, honey, and palm sugar together to dissolve sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to moisten well. Mix in any favorite add ins at this point.
- Press the mixture evenly into the parchment lined pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until just turning golden.
- Let cool for several minutes before cutting into desired size, and then return to pan to cool entirely and firm up (promise, they will!)