By far the most popular cookie in my circle, my sister asked me for a favorite allergen free chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Let me first start by saying that I love chocolate chip cookies…but my husband?! He’s is crazy about them!
He likes to brag to people about my cookies, and the fact I could have a batch whipped together and in the oven in under 10 minutes always earns me extra points!
I am afraid I have created quite a food snob out of him.
So when I I first embarked on this endeavor of allergen free….chocolate chip cookies were my first experiment in the cookie department. I have tweaked and and changed and played with so many variations…and some have been really good, while others were dismal failures.
So happy to share this recipe with you…while not the original butter/egg/wheat flour recipe, pretty darn near close, and much better than your average cookie, even the ones WITH allergens.
I aim to please sister dear, so here it is!!
Can I use different gluten flours?
In short, YES! I play around with different flours ALL the time. If you use your favorite gluten free flour blend, be sure to omit the guar gum if yours already contains gum. And please, leave a comment below to ask for help subbing…there are SO many options (many good, some bad), each with their own delicious possibilities!
Want To Replace the Gum in a Gluten Free Cookie?
Many people discover they are sensitive to gums. If you think this might you, or for whatever other reason, here are a couple of options:
- Add 1 tablespoon of gelatin to the dry mix instead.
- Try gelling 2 tablespoons of either flax meal or chia meal with the 1/2 cup milk before adding it to the recipe.
- Try adding 2 teaspoons psyllium powder to the dry mix.
Additional Gluten Free Vegan Cookies:
- Gluten Free | Vegan Thumprint Cookies
- Paleo | Vegan Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Gluten Free | Vegan Samoas
- Gluten Free Vegan Sugar Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookies – Gluten, Egg, & Dairy Free Recipe:
Chocolate Chip Cookies-Gluten & Dairy Free
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice I use coconut milk from a carton
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Whisk the dry ingredients together.
Beat in the wet.
Add more milk if you need to by the tablespoon: dough should be very stiff and smooth.
Mix in the chocolate chips.
Bake in a 350 degree oven on a Silpat lined cookie sheet, About 8-11 minutes for golf-ball sized balls of dough.
When they are turning just golden, they should be done. Let cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack, store in an airtight container, preferably in the freezer!