Paleo waffle iron cookies? It IS indeed possible to bypass your oven entirely and cook up some rich and chocolaty cookies right in your waffle iron! I’ve made these a healthier version so kids and mom alike will be happy!
Deep chocolate flavor, free of the top 8 allergens, and a SNAP to put together? These are one paleo and vegan holiday cookie NOT to miss!
Years ago I discovered this creative idea of ‘boot track’ cookies in a magazine, and I had used the recipe for years. It is a really fun and easy Christmas cookie for moms and kids alike!
All my favorite recipes of the past have had to be modified for our diets today. In this case, I have adapted these to be gluten, grain, and dairy free!
These paleo ‘boot track ‘cookies are kid pleasers because the whole picture of boot tracks in the snow makes for a festive and unique cookie. Your kids will LOVE them as much as mine, I am sure!
Even better, with no oven (thanks to the waffle iron!), these are a snap to throw together and serve in under 10 minutes. My kids love sprinkling the “snow” over the top, but it is totally optional.
Incidentally, plain ole tapioca flour or powdered sugar can be used!
You could also drizzle melted dark chocolate or white chocolate (or both!) over the top!
Can I change the flours or use eggs?
With so little flour, these cookies would be great with so many different flours. Teff and oat for gluten free, almond, cassava flour…there are many options. Let me know if you would like guidance using your preferred flours, and any gum free gluten free all-purpose blend should work too!
If you want to use eggs, replace the applesauce with 2 eggs. Or even pumpkin instead!
Want some more gluten free holiday cookie ideas?
- My gluten free and vegan sugar cookies have the classic flavor you know, just not the allergens!
- The pumpkin snickerdoodles are paleo and vegan and are SO easy to throw together!
- One my favorite Christmas cookies of all time: gluten free and vegan thumbprint cookies!
- This chocolate dipped brown sugar shortbread is another one that looks irresistible.
Chocolate Waffle Iron Cookies Paleo | Vegan Recipe:
If you try these waffle iron cookies, be sure to come back and leave a comment!
Chocolate Waffle 'Boot Track" Cookies - Paleo | Vegan
- ½ cup coconut oil softened, any solid fat should work well too
- ⅔ cup palm sugar may use part stevia too, or Swerve for low carb
- 1/2 cup applesauce or pumpkin puree, room temp OR 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil this prevents the cookies from sticking to the iron
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder we like to use a high quality one for best flavor
Preheat a waffle iron (we LOVE ours!).
In the bowl of a mixer, beat the softened coconut oil and sugar until creamy.
Beat in the applesauce, vanilla, and oil.
With the mixer still running, sprinkle in the sea salt, followed by the flours and cocoa powder.
You may stir in some white or dark chocolate chips if desired.
Drop about 2 teaspoons of thick batter into each waffle segment (ungreased). Cook for about 1 minute until set.
Remove with a fork to a cooling rack and continue until the batter is gone.
Drizzle with melted white or dark chocolate OR sift some powdered sugar or tapioca starch over the top to look like snow!