Paleo homemade mayo that tastes amazing, takes under 5 minutes, and has no added fillers or additives like store bought??!! Yes!!
Mayonnaise is one thing that is so ridiculously easy to make, and so delicious, you’ll wonder why you’ve never attempted it before!
Even better, there are so few ingredients in homemade mayo, it is easy to control the allergens, and there are no weird unpronounceable mystery ingredients are lurking within.
Plus, no GMO oils like the vast majority of store bought brands out there! It took us awhile, but we finally figured out my son is super sensitive to Round Up residue in foods, so GMO’s are a big no in our house.
Trust me, try it just once and see! It takes under 5 minutes, promise!
Here are some recipes you could use this Paleo | Whole30 Mayonnaise in:
- Warm Chicken BLT Salad
- Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
- Grilled Asparagus w/ Garlic-Lemon Aioli
- Vanilla Birthday Cake
- Paleo Hot Artichoke Dip
FOOD PROCESSOR MAYO?
I use my beloved Cuisenart 14 Cup Food Processor for this…an absolutely invaluable tool in a real foodie’s kitchen!
IMMERSION BLENDER MAYO?
You can also do this with an immersion blender. Place all ingredients, in order listed in a cup or mason jar. Start the immersion blender at the bottom, holding it at the bottom until you see the emulsion happening, then slowly lift up until all oil is incorporated. I use this method most frequently now…easier clean up, AND quick!
MAYO MAKING TECHNIQUE TIPS:
- Below is a picture so you know how slowly to pour the oil…it gives the eggs time to ‘grab’ the oil and emulsify the mixture. Most people lament how tricky mayo is…but if you pour the oil slowly into room temperature ingredients, you should have success!
- It is also worth noting that using ROOM TEMPERATURE ingredients allows you emulsify quickly! I sometimes hasten this process my heating my vinegar and mustard a tad to compensate for the cold egg yolks. Or I will put my eggs (before cracking them) in a bowl of very warm water for a couple of minutes.
Paleo Homemade Mayo Recipe:
Paleo Homemade Mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks fresh, and organic if possible, and room temperature (you can do this quickly by submerging the eggs in a bowl of hot water for a couple of minutes....this helps the emulsion happen quicker!)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon or yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Sea salt start with 1/4 teaspoon
- 1.5 cups avocado oil or I like LIGHT olive oil (NOT extra virgin!)
Place all ingredients except for oil into the food processor bowl.
Turn the machine on, and get ready to drizzle your oil.
Here's the key, you MUST ADD THE OIL VERY SLOWLY!! Notice the thin stream in the picture above.. Do it too fast and you will have a gross, thin, yellow mixture that has not emulsified. As soon as the emulsification starts, you can double the speed you're pouring at! If you end up with a 'broken mayo that did not emulsify, you can fix it!! Add another room temp egg yolk and a splash of lemon or vinegar and re-pour the whole mixture slowly through the tube again.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.