imFish w/ an Almond, Garlic Lemon Topping (Amandine) - Gluten, Dairy , & Grain Free

I am NOT a fish lover.  As a young girl, the smell could make me gag, and today, I’m not much different.  The key for me is to use VERY fresh white fish, or mild white frozen fish..any fishy aroma AT ALL and I run for the hills!  Of course, I know I am supposed to have fish regularly in my diet for health reasons, so I had to figure something out, plus I want my kids to grow up enjoying it even if it is not my favorite thing.  No sense in tainting their taste buds with mine!  This recipe is SO scrumptious, I have been making it regularly for years.  It wasn’t too tough to make it allergen friendly, and it’s not tough for you to revert it back to ‘normal’ if that is what you have on hand!  My kids even love this….and it is extremely easy and quick to put together!

• 1 pound mild white fish, like Tilapia or Sole in thin fillets
  • ½ cup preferred (unsweetened) milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk)
  • 1 egg beaten (optional – I have made this without the egg and it turns out fine)
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne (omit or reduce if heat sensitive)
  • ½ cup sweet rice flour (Mochiko Blue Star is good brand. Sweet rice flour is milled much finer than regular rice flour, and is powdery like a starch) or other flour. For a grain free option, I have done this with half almond flour/half arrowroot!
  • ½ teaspoon salt AND pepper
  • Oil/fat for pan frying
  • Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
  • ½ cup sliced almonds (Trader Joe’s has these for the best deal I have found!)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons allowed butter
  1. First, prep the sauce. Saute the almonds and garlic over medium heat in the olive oil until golden and toasted….watch it carefully so as not to burn the almonds. Turn the heat off when it the garlic and almonds begin to brown and then set aside.
  2. In a small bowl mix the milk and egg. In another small bowl, mix the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Dredge the fish fillet in the milk mixture, then the flour, pressing the fillet down to coat the fish evenly. Saute all fillets in oil over medium-medium high heat until golden, and then flip to the other side, adding more oil as necessary to prevent sticking.
  3. When you are ready to serve, add the butter and lemon juice to the waiting almond/garlic sauce, heat gently to warm and melt. Serve atop fish!

This recipe was shared on Natural Living Mondays, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Tuesday Greens, Tuesday Talent ShowHearth & Soul, Gluten Free Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays,  Waste Not Want NotGluten Free Wednesdays, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Real Food WednesdayFresh Foods Wednesday,Frugal Days Sustainable Ways,  Wellness Wednesdays,,  Full Plate ThursdayThriving on Thursday,  Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday, Simple Meal Friday, Savoring Saturday, Simple Lives Thursday,  Whole Foods Friday, GF Friday,

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Grain Free/Paleo, Main Dish, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone
19 comments on “Fish w/ an Almond, Garlic Lemon Topping (Amandine) – Gluten, Dairy , & Grain Free
  1. Shari says:

Sounds fabulous, Tessa! I can eat corn but not wheat or dairy so I will definitely be trying some of your recipes. My cousin is going through testing for celiac disease, too, so I will pass on the URL to her.

All the best!

Shari

2. This is an excellent dish! The flavors of the sauce really popped and having the crunchy almonds on top was my favorite. I will cook this again! Thank you for helping me find a fish dish that isn't "fishy"!

3. klmoreno says:

We made this for company and they loved it so much they asked for the recipe! Yumm!

4. Mmmm, my mouth is watering. Thanks so much for submitting this to Go Ahead Honey…It's Gluten Free!

5. Thanks so much for linking up. Hope to see you next week.

6. hubs is a fisherman – no really- for a living – this will come in handy! ;) thanks for linking with KiK

This looks like a delicious dish that we would really enjoy! Hope you have a special week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

8. This sounds really delicious, I especially like the almonds with the fish, very nice. Thank you for sharing this at Hearth & Soul. :)

9. Tessa, this sounds delicious. We all love fish, especially Tilapia and Catfish. I have been broiling lately to try to stay away from the oil content, but this looks so good I may have to skip the broiling next fish dinner and go with your method ☺
    If you are interested, please feel free to link up to our recipe carnival. It is open until Wed. midnight.

• Thank you Mary..I am sure you will love it…it is very popular with whoever I make it for!

• Tessa, I have my whole menu planned out already for the weekend, just from the recipes I saw in the last couple of days. Usually, I don’t have trouble coming up with a meal plan but sometimes, I go brain dead and can’t think of a thing! This is going to be our Sat. evening meal with steamed broccoli. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Thank you so much for sharing in our recipe carnival. Hope to see you again and I appreciate your support ☺

10. Elsa says:

Oh, I love fish amandine! Your recipe looks delicious! Maybe you could try fish cakes some time? They usually have so many herbs and spices in them that you can’t taste or smell the fish. Thanks so much for sharing with Hearth and Soul!!

11. April Harris says:

I love fish almandine and your sauce sounds so delicious! What a wonderful recipe!

12. Linda Warren says:

I love trout almondine so I can tell this one could become a new favorite. And my daughter, the other half of 2CookinMamas, is on a gluten free diet so that makes this recipe that much better! Thanks for sharing with Fantastic Thursday!

13. Julia says:

Looks delicious! We love fish and I look forward to try it this way!
    Julia recently posted…Paleo Artichoke and Greens QuicheMy Profile

I can’t wait to try this recipe it looks like my kind of fish. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.

15. Nettie says:

I too hate the smell of fish and the taste of strong fish – that “fishy taste”. The only way I really like fish is battered and deep fried except for fish amandine which I haven’t had since I was a teenager. The kind served at this one particular cafeteria in Memphis, TN was completely covered in the amandine and then baked (?). I think I liked it because it had the appearance of being fried and I also enjoyed the flavor. I am definitely going to use this recipe and now look forward to eating the Tilipia I have frozen – baked or pan fried.