Normally, dessert in my vocabulary does not translate into anything with fresh fruit.
Don’t get me wrong, I really love fresh fruit, but it doesn’t always satisfy that treat craving known to hit after mealtimes…aka CHOCOLATE!
This dessert is a traditional Thai dessert, normally served with sticky coconut rice (which is really delicious too). I have simplified it and gave our waistlines a bit of a break by leaving that out here.
The coconut sauce will really knock your socks off, the trick is the balance between sweet and salty….so don’t leave the salt out. You can play with the sugar/salt a bit, but do it by tiny fractions to your own tastes. It is also important to note that you will need a particular mango for this recipe (called by so many names): it’s the only mango I really like, and they are coming into season now. You will have this ‘dessert’ on the table in less than 10 minutes. Just try to save a few bites for others……
- 2-3 ripe Thai mangoes (usually wrinkly skin is a good sign!), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar, or any sweetener of choice
- Scant ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat, bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- When mixture thickens, remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare your Thai mangoes (see picture). Slice them any way you like!
- Serve freshly sliced mango with a drizzle (or slathering) of coconut sauce! Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if using!
This recipe was shared on My Meatless Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Motivation Monday, Tasteful Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays. Hearth & Soul Healthy 2Day Wednesday, GF Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Seasonal Celebration Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Wellness Weekend, Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday, GF Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Simple Meals Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Natural Living Link-Up,