In less than 30 minutes, you can make this paleo, keto, and Whole30 Thai chicken soup just like in your favorite Thai restaurants! Sometimes call Tom ka gai, with all your favorite flavors, this Thai coconut milk soup will be asked for again and again!
This is one of those meals that you can’t believe takes so little effort and tastes so darn good.
Thai food has always been one of my favorites, and all the flavors shine in this recipe.
On the table in under 30 minutes, busy moms will appreciate the ease of preparing this soup.
I like that I can keep it low carb, or add noodles for my kids if I want to!
It’s worth noting, I have made this multiple times for teaching staff soup buffets. It is always one the most popular soups and I am asked for the recipe frequently!
Optional Thai chicken soup with rice noodles note/tip:
IF you choose to to add noodles, I recommend boiling the noodles separately, but al dente or slightly undercooked. You then add the noodles to individual bowls and pour the hot soup over them.
If you store noodles with the soup, they will get too soggy, so store them separately…that is IF there is any left!!
Want to add more veggies to your soup?
This is a basic broth recipe with so much flavor, there are LOADS of vegetables that would make fabulous additions! This is a great reference for keto vegetables.
Here are some of my favorite vegetable additions:
- shredded cabbage, added in at the last minute for some extra crunch, simulates noodles without the carbs!
- fresh lime wedges…because you can never have enough lime!
- Asparagus when is season cooks quickly in the broth! Remove the tough wooden ends, chop into bite sized pieces, throw into the broth for 2-4 minutes until still crisp tender.
- some chopped, steamed broccoli
- bok choy, thrown in at the last minute to wilt
- steamed green beans
- chopped eggplant cubes, salted and drained in a colander, thrown in at the beginning to simmer with the broth
More healthy soups to try!
- Paleo Thai Carrot Soup
- Paleo Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup – Instant Pot
- Creamy Ham & Potato Chowder (dairy free)
Paleo Thai Chicken Soup Recipe:
If you try this Thai soup recipe, be sure to come back and leave a comment!!
Easy Thai Chicken Soup - Paleo
- 14 oz coconut milk this is my very favorite brand as it has no fillers/thickeners and amazing coconut cream!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 slices FRESH ginger or galangal root about a quarter size each
- 1-2 lemongrass stalks cut into 3rds or 4ths, roughly smashed with a mallet or knife to release the flavor
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms I usually do a mix of cremini and shitake!
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or more taste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce my favorite brand!!
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or 4 drops liquid stevia, omit for Whole30
- 1-3 teaspoons Thai Chile Garlic Sauce or paste or sriracha, check label for added sweetener
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- Lots of veggies would make a good addition to this soup..I love sweet peppers!
In a soup pot, bring the coconut milk, chicken broth, ginger, and lemongrass to a boil.
Add the chicken and mushrooms and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Remove lemongrass and ginger slices.
Add the remaining ingredients, more or less as you prefer!! Enjoy!
There are several tip about adding noodles and/or additional vegetables to this soup in the post above. Please read for more information!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!