Normally, dessert in my vocabulary does not translate into anything with fresh fruit.
However, this Thai mango sticky rice is AMAZING and will knock your socks off!!!
Don’t get me wrong, I really love fresh fruit, but it doesn’t always satisfy that treat craving known to hit after mealtimes…aka CHOCOLATE!
This Thai mango sticky rice is drenched in a sweet and salty coconut sauce that is a traditional Thai dessert.
In this version, I have omitted the rice. But I can show you how to add THAT too!
The coconut sauce will really knock your socks off, the trick is the balance between sweet and salty….so don’t leave the salt out. You can play with the sugar and salt ratios a bit, but do it by tiny fractions to your own taste!
Thai Mangos for this recipe a must!
It is important to note that you will need a particular mango for this recipe (called by so many names): it’s the only mango I really like, and they are coming into season now. How do you pick the best one? Here is what to look for when shopping:
- Thai/Naftali/Champagne/Honey Mangoes…whatever you call them, they are the best! Ask your produce person if you’re not sure.
- To pick a good one, look for a uniform orange-yellow skin that yields slightly to your touch. Sometimes a subtle wrinkle to the skin works too.
- Below, I give a handy visual of how to prepare this fruit! Peel (I LOVE my sharp peeler for this!), stand up on its end and slice the fruit off on either side of the pit (I use my favorite kid-friendly knife for this)
You will have this ‘dessert’ on the table in less than 10 minutes. Just try to save a few bites for others!
Like the mango sticky rice too?
It’s pretty amazing, I don’t blame you!!
- Using prepared sticky rice (make sure it is a sticky rice, sometimes called sushi rice), and DOUBLE the sauce ingredients.
- Before thickening, mix HALF of the coconut sauce into the rice.
- Place a spoonful of the coconut drenched rice on a plate, then layer the prepared mango on top. Finally, drizzle with the THICKENED sauce to finish it off!
- Gluten Free | Vegan Blueberry Crumble Bars
- Fresh Strawberry Chocolate Tarts
- Paleo AIP Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies
- Mango Lime Chia Pudding @ Get Inspired Everyday
Thai Mango Sticky Rice Recipe:
If you try this, leave a comment below!
Paleo Thai Mango w/ Coconut Sauce
- 2 ripe Thai mangoes usually wrinkly skin is a good sign!, peeled and sliced. Notes above in post!
- 1 cup canned coconut milk I linked to the ONLY brand I use...flavor wise it is THE best, and no fillers!!
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or any sweetener of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (scant) I linked to the kind I buy...still has ALL it's trace minerals!
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or any starch
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish optional
Optional Sticky Rice
- Please DOUBLE above sauce if adding sticky rice
- 1 cup sushi rice also call short grain, or sticky rice.
- 1 1/2 cup water
Prepare Sticky Rice
In a sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, add the rice and water. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low simmer for 15 minutes or so. Turn off heat, don't remove the lid! Let the rice rest for at least 10 minutes. Cool to close to room temp before proceeding.
Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Remember to double the sauce ingredients if using the sticky rice.
Over medium-low heat, bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
When mixture thickens, remove from heat and set aside.
Prepare your Thai mangoes (see picture). Peel and slice them any way you like!
Serve freshly sliced mango with a drizzle (or slathering) of coconut sauce! Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if using!
nutrition facts do not include rice or double sauce.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!