This healthy butterbeer is a festive fall drink with a nod to Harry Potter fans! Pumpkin puts added nourishment into this warming apple cider drink!
Here is another one of those ‘recipes’ that came about as away to get more goodness into my kids without them necessarily knowing it.
Hot cocoa and hot apple cider seem synonymous with cold weather when you have kids. I already created a healthy hot chocolate I look forward to serving my kids, so it was time to convert a hot apple cider too.
But this recipe is so easy, I almost don’t even want to call it recipe! How about just a sneaky mom idea?!
No one has ever suspected that pumpkin in lurking within their beverage when trying this.
Healthy butterbeer tips
The key here with so few ingredients is quality.
First, find a delicious apple cider or fresh pressed apple juice with NO added sweetener. I have used all sorts of varieties, and most recently used Trader Joe’s Organic Apple Cider.
Second…get your hands on some fresh pumpkin puree! It has a light and fresh taste that disappears more easily into the drink….canned pumpkin has a much more pungent flavor, so you will have to use less if you go that route.
With a beautiful orangish hue, this beverage is worthy of any Harry Potter theme…even if it is not laden with butter, sugar, and cream (you COULD play with that if you wanted!!)
I love the books, but I am not a purist, and butter beer WAS a made-up drink in Rowling’s imagination..so here is MY interpretation!
What some more healthy fall themed foods?
- Really easy, exceptional results: Paleo Caramelized Butternut Squash
- A unique fall side, these ‘buttery’ breaded Paleo Roasted Squash Slices.
- M Paleo Pumpkin Bread is wholesome and tender.
- A great way to start any morning, Paleo Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.
- This pumpkin shaped everything bagel cheese ball is too cute!
I provided the most basic straightforward variation below. But, there are some fun ways to play with this beverage!
- to go for the ‘butterscotch’ variation: I would add 2 tablespoons palm sugar, 2 Tablespoons butter or ghee, and a cup of ‘cream’ (coconut or thick nut milk, or grass fed cream). A splash of vanilla and sea salt. Puree in a blender to get frothy!
- can play with the spices! Nutmeg. cinnamon, clove would all be perfect!
Healthy Butterbeer Recipe:
If you try this warming and cinnamon scented pumpkin apple cider, be sure to come back and leave a comment!
Butter Beer - Pumpkin Apple Cider
- 4 cups fresh apple cider no sugars added
- 1 cup FRESH pumpkin puree how to linked above, if you choose canned, start with 1/2 cup and taste!
- 1 lemon slice optional
- 1 orange slice optional
In a medium saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a simmer over medium heat.
Simmer for 5-10 minutes to impart the citrus overtones if using.
Remove citrus slices.
I provided a creamy 'butterscotch' version in the post above!