Thick and creamy dairy free healthy hot chocolate is simple to make, and with the addition of several sneaky ingredients, you can have a nutritious beverage the whole family will love!
Rich and chocolaty, no one will ever miss the dairy is this rich and satisfying cup of hot cocoa!
Here is a recipe born of a mama’s desire to fulfill her kiddos chocolatey dreams.
Come winter, my kids lust after the stuff, so creating a hot chocolate that was more of a nutritious boost rather than a straight cup of sugar was my job.
On a recent December day, we decided to brave our outdoor family pictures (Thank you Haley Graham!) that had already been rescheduled THREE times.
Sure, it was cold, and YES it was rainy, and it was quite windy to boot: but I was so sick and tired of rescheduling, I decided we would brave it come hell or high water.
“Come on kids…lets find our winter coats, hats, and gloves!”
Meanwhile, in the back of my head I am not really accepting that our pictures will in be our bundled up attire…..oh no…we have loads of cute clothes on ready for those Kodak moments.
Well…let’s just say there is ONE thing I did right on this outing: I planned for hot chocolate.
And here you see a little window into our family’s outing…with this very recipe that I now share with you.
Healthy hot chocolate variations
I prefer my hot chocolate rich, creamy, thick, and with lots of dark chocolate flavor. SO that is the recipe you see below. But here are some ways to adapt the recipe:
- You can easily adjust the cocoa powder and sweetener in this recipe to meet your tastes and dietary needs.
- GAPS Diet: All honey would work for GAPS
- Cane sugar works instead of palm sugar.
- If candida is an issue…look to erythritol as the sweetener.
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne for a Mexican hot chocolate variation
The collagen and pumpkin puree add thickness and body to this cup of chocolate without providing any strong flavor…and they sneak in a serving of vegetables, as well as some gut healing protein for good measure.
Did you know collagen has 10 grams of protein per scoop? I promise…no one will taste it…it is simply sneaky goodness.
Something about that thickness on your tongue makes it seem more decadent!!
You can keep increasing the pumpkin puree until you reach your taste threshold…I never use a measuring cup. More pumpkin = thicker texture.
Vegan hot chocolate option?
If you are vegan, using 2 tablespoons of coconut flour is a great alternate way to add thickness! Omit the collagen.
Additional hot and healthy drinks to keep you warm
- my bulletproof pumpkin latte is one of my favorites!
- I have had this keto matcha white hot cocoa more times than I can count!
- this golden milk is anti-inflammatory and utterly yum!!!
If you are interested in a special warm weather treat, try this iced almond milk matcha latte! And if you love marshmallows, be sure to to refer to this thorough post all about allergy friendly marshmallow brands!
If you try this dairy free hot chocolate, be sure to come back and leave a comment below!
Dairy Free Healthy Hot Chocolate
Creamy, rich, nutritious, and totally delicious, this is a super satisfying cup of hot cocoa!
- 3 cups non-dairy milk I prefer at least half to be full-fat coconut milk or homemade creamy nut milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree optional. Fresh is best, hands down!! Use less if using canned...much stronger flavor.
- 1/3 cup palm sugar or erythritol for low carb. Or organic cane sugar.
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder many cheap ones TASTE cheap....keep this in mind! I love Dagoba
- 3 scoops collagen use "tessa10" to get 10% off any order. Omit for vegan and add 1T coconut flour instead
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or mint
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
In a saucepan, whisk together all ingredients. (you could also blend everything in a blender, then proceed, zero lumps this way).
Bring the mixture to a slow simmer over medium low heat, whisking occasionally.
Heat to desired temperature and enjoy!
*nutritional info uses carton coconut milk, not the full fat canned milk. MCT oil not included either.
**several creative flavor tweaks above in post, be sure to check them out!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!