A thick and creamy keto chocolate shake to satisfy even the worst sweet tooth with no blood sugar spikes!! Loaded with good-for-you ingredients, this keto smoothie is a balanced meal OR a treat, and no one will ever guess the sneaky vegetable hidden inside!
As the weather turns warm, my body finally starts craving cool smoothies and shakes!
I’m grateful, as smoothies are SO quick to throw together, and can be loaded with so many good-for-ingredients. While I prefer to chew my food most of the time, smoothies are the ultimate grab and go nourishing meal!
Since my son is still OOBER picky (sigh), I have to be a smoothie ninja….creating healthy and balanced smoothies that he will consume….but that also don’t fill him with a massive dose of sugar. My game has to be STRONG!!
For two years now, I have been very conscientious of my sugar intake…even fruit sugars. Years of stress and a carb dominate diet left me with some unstable blood sugars bordering on pre-diabetic and an inability to lose weight no matter WHAT I did (you can read about all my struggles in this series). So I turned to a keto-style diet that finally turned things around for me.
I learned that while a serving of fruit or two (or three!) a day is totally possible in a healthy diet….pounds of fruit in one meal just isn’t a good idea for anyone. Most people wouldn’t sit down and consume 6 servings of fruit in one sitting…so blending that quantity doesn’t make much health sense either. Way too big of an insulin spike.
So I had to learn how to make my favorite smoothies, and all my new ones with minimal fruit. This creamy keto milkshake doesn’t contain ANY! I sometimes add a handful of wild blueberries or strawberries to my son’s version (sans mint!).
Nutritional Boosts For Shakes and Smoothies:
- Vitamin D Emulsion. The vast majority of us are deficient in vitamin D, and just one drop of this emulsion gives you 2000 iu! It’s the only brand we have used for some time
- Collagen – With all the amino acids and good protein, this gut healing supplement is part of our daily repertoire. I have started using this brand exclusively now! My son is sensitive to glyphosate residue, and many grass fed sources come from Argentina where there is a lot of that used. Perfect Supplements tests theirs to be sure it is pure! You can use the code “tessa10” to get 10% off your order!
- Probiotics – We have a habit of cycling through lots of brands to keep a variety in our guts!
- Greens powder – Here is another add in that is virtually tasteless i small quantities, and super good for our bodies! Cleansing, detoxing, anemia support….this is a great supplement to sneak in wherever you can!! Again, use “tessa10” to get 10% off.
- Acacia Fiber – I love to add this fiber to my smoothies for healthy digestion and staying power! It’s non-thickening, so it’s perfect for smoothies and baking!
Like Smoothies? Here are some more keto smoothies and shakes to try:
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie
- Lemon Cheesecake Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake @ Low Carb Yum
- Low Carb Green Smoothie @ Wholesome Yum
If you make this, I want to know about it! Please leave a comment below!
Keto Chocolate Shake
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk I have also used homemade coconut milk yogurt
- 3/4 cup cauliflower frozen, and riced preferable but not essential
- 1/2 haas avocado
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 scoop collagen
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract or **2 drop therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons low-carb sweetener I used Lankanto Monk Fruit. May use any preferred sweetener
Place all ingredients into a high powered blender and whir until smooth and creamy!
*only use therapeutic grade essential oils for ingestion! You can buy a safe brand here.