Since not having an oven…I have been working on all sorts of stove top recipes. Maytag be darned, I will not be stymied by the lack of an oven!
This morning I wanted to develop a basic diner pancake that was both vegan and gluten free.
But of course, I also wanted it to have whole grains and a health factor….what is the point of eating food if it does nothing beneficial for your body?!
I have been experimenting with a gluten free all purpose mix of my making, and I used this here (I have used brown rice AND rice flour both to make this before). Quick, easy, and perfectly delicious. It uses equal amounts sprouted brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca.
GLUTEN FREE VEGAN PANCAKES INGREDIENT NOTE:
There are SOOOO many gluten free flours out there, and each has their own taste and behavior. I know many of you have an all-purpose blend you have too…will it work here? Most likely! But I can’t guarantee it all since I have not tested it all. Here are some subs to consider:
- You could either sub all or part of the sorghum flour with more brown rice, oat flour, or millet (the most benign/familiar tasting ).
- Also, I use stevia in this recipe. NOT ALL STEVIAS ARE CREATED EQUAL!! I have tried quite a few, and the brand I am most happy with is Nu Naturals. I prefer the liquid versions as they do not have the fillers that powdered versions can have. You can totally use a a granulated sugar of your choice, about 1-2 tablespoons worth (to taste).
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN BUTTERMILK:
If you really love the buttermilk flavor, in a separate measuring cup, curdle the milk for several minutes with the lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
While not exactly the same, it still gets the job done! A dairy free kefir would also work!
Additional Gluten Free Vegan Pancake Recipes To Try:
Gluten Free Vegan Pancakes Recipe:
Try these pancakes out and come back and leave a comment below!
Gluten Free Vegan Diner Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cup non dairy milk I used So Delicious Coconut Milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil your choice of fat here
- 1 tablespoons organic sugar honey, or 16 drops liquid stevia extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, this helps mimic buttermilk flavor
Whisk together all the dry ingredients through the salt.
Make a well in the center and add in the remaining ingredients. Whisk gently (so as not to mix too much into dry), and wait a minute to let the flours 'bloom' a bit.
Continue whisking until well mixed.
At this point, you decide if you want to add a few tablespoons extra of any of the flours to change the thickness of the pancake. We like them thinner you may like them a touch thicker...you decide!
Preheat your favorite pan over medium (ish) heat. Using your favorite oil to grease the pan, and using about 1/4 cup batter, form your circles.
When little bubbles appear all over the surface, it is time to flip!
When cooked through, remove and enjoy!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!