11-6-19 THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED SINCE IT WAS ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED
Garnishing your Instant Pot tortilla soup:
The toppings really make this easy tortilla soup the best. Here are some ideas to consider topping YOUR soup with!
- pickled or sliced jalapeños
- shredded cabbage or iceberg lettuce
- cheese: shredded cheddar, mozzarella, jack, cotija, sheep’s milk feta are all tasty
- sliced or diced avocado
- crispy tortilla strips (see below) or any tortilla chips
- sliced radishes
- chopped cilantro
- fresh lime wedges
- hot sauce
Low Carb Tortilla Soup?
I like to eat my soup low carb. If I do not have any low carb tortillas on hand, I simmer some shredded cabbage briefly in the broth, then top with plenty of avocado and sheep’s milk feta!
Stove Top Tortilla Soup?
This soup is easily made on your stove top as well! Once you add the broth and chicken into the pan, bring to a simmer and cook 20-25 minutes until chicken is tender and ready to shred.
Homemade Crispy Tortilla Strips?
They are easier to make than you would think!!
Simply slice any preferred tortilla into bite size strips, toss with avocado oil, then spread out on a large cookie sheet, sprinkle with some sea salt. Bake in a 350 oven until crispy…that’s it! Time it takes will depend on how thick your tortillas are. Just keep an eye on em!
If you are grain free or paleo, Siete Foods makes many excellent tortillas for purchase! My kids like regular organic corn tortillas best!
Additional Instant Pot recipes to try:
- Instant Pot chicken with bacon is made with ingredients you likely already have on hand!
- A family favorite, this Rice-a-Roni Chicken will take you back to your childhood…but no boxed ingredients here!
- This buffalo chicken soup looks pretty darn amazing!!!
Instant Pot Tortilla Soup Recipe:
If you try this, I want to hear about it! Please leave a comment below!
Easy Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion rough chop
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Fiesta Chile Powder a salt-free seasoning found in most bulk spice sections Regular chili powder is fine too
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt start with a teaspoon, will depend on broth you use, mine has no salt, add to taste.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes or sauce I puree mine first for my kids, using my immersion blender!
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces (or for a vegetarian version, sub 2 cans pinto or black beans)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- lime wedges, shredded cabbage, chopped fresh cilantro, grated cheese (sharp cheddar, feta, cotija, and Daiya are all good , avocado, hot sauce, tortilla chips or crispy tortillas!
Press 'saute' on you Instant Pot, and add the avocado oil to preheat
While it preheats, in a blender, puree the onion, the tomatoes, the garlic, and the spices.
Pour mixture into the hot oil, and saute for for 5-7 minutes to thicken slightly, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the broth,, and add the sea salt and whole chicken thighs.
Lock on your lid, set Instant Pot to 'manual' for 8 minutes.
When time completes, press cancel and let it natural release for 10 minutes. Release the pressure the rest of the way, remove chicken to shred with two forks.
Add in the lime juic (if desired), and taste the broth to make sure there is enough salt, add the chicken back in, and top each bowl with desired garnishes!
Please refer to post for lots of garnishing/serving ideas!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!