A perfectly tender and portable snack made with sweet potatoes for lasting energy.
These paleo sweet potato muffins are also nut free and egg free, so they are suitable for multiple diets!
My gluten free sweet potato muffins are free of two super common allergens: eggs and nuts!
Anyone who cuts out grains knows…..baking without grains almost ALWAYS requires eggs. Problem is, there are lots of people with compromised guts that can’t do eggs OR nuts OR grains! So what is a person to do??!! You hit the kitchen and start experimenting!
Personally, when I make something, I want to be able to offer it to my son…who has yet to tolerate nuts or eggs yet either…so I have to get a bit creative.
These sweet potato muffins are soft with a dense crumb. They feels like a meal in the mouth and extremely hearty!
Consequently, they pack amazingly well! Hiking, picnics, trips…you name it! They have tagged along with us many a times!
Let me know what you think…and if you want more paleo egg free/nut free recipes, leave a comment and let me know! It is a new baking challenge I am trying to master!
- Coconut butter: I make my own, but you can also purchase it online or in well-stocked natural grocers.
- Whole psyllium husks – these help with binding in egg free baked goods
- Coconut flour: grain and nut free, it is a great flour to cook with, and totally unique in its behavior.
How to roast sweet potatoes for this paleo muffin recipe?
Nothing compares to a roasted sweet potato….not boiled, not blanched, not steamed!
Roasting brings out the maximum sweetness which is why this recipe can use so little sweetener.
Will any mashed squash or sweet potato work? Sure…but know it WILL change the end flavor, and you may need to add additional sweetener in the form of stevia or palm sugar to make it good!
TO ROAST YOUR SWEET POTATOES: Simply scrub your sweet potato clean, prick all over with a fork, and bake in 350 degree oven for about an hour until some of the sugars are seeping out of the holes! It should be oober soft and deflated looking when it comes out of the oven and deflates! I make multiple potatoes at once and use them in smoothies or other other treats (pureed with coconut milk…swoon!) The size of your sweet potato will effect total cooking time, so begin checking around the 30 minute mark.
Additional paleo egg free treats
- Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins – Nut Free
- Dense & Fudgy Chocolate Brownies (nut free)
- Nutella Cookies
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Strawberry Macaroons (nut free)
Sweet Potato Muffin Paleo Recipe:
If you make these muffins, I want to hear about it! Please come back to leave a comment and rating!
Paleo Sweet Potato Muffins- Egg, Nut, & Grain Free!
- 1/2 cup ROASTED sweet potato see notes above in post about roasting
- 1/4 cup dates about 5 medjool dates, or abut 2.5 ounces
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk I use coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut butter softened
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil softened
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar optional, to taste
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder grain free
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Add In Options:
- orange zest chocolate chips, cranberries, raisins, toasted nuts.
- 1/4 cup collagen for added gut healing protein! Use code "tessa10" for 10%off any order
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place the dates, milk, coconut butter, and coconut oil in a pan and simmer gently a couple of minutes to soften the dates.This step is completely by-passable if your dates are very soft already.
Add the date mixture and sweet potato to the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
Add in the remaining ingredients minus any add ins and pulse until well mixed. Batter will be very thick.
Use your hands to grab a golf ball size piece of dough, and roll gently in your hands to form a ball. Alternately, I use my handy 1 1/2 T cookie scoop to keep my hands clean.
Place the balls into a greased mini muffin tin.
Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
These will keep for several days on the counter in an airtight container.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!