I adore lettuce wraps. When I finally tweaked a recipe to make ones like I had had in the restaurants, I was ecstatic! I like these lettuce wraps even more than any I’ve tried, and I always know what’s in them. I am so sick of eating out and dealing with reactions post consumption! These are so easy to make and perfect for a warm weather day. They are a bit messy to eat, my leaves always fall apart, but use a napkin and dig in…these are healthy and delicious! Or if you are super creative like my friend, check out her picture of her adpatation to make these hold together better….smart momma!
I discovered the original recipe in a Cooking Light Magazine years ago, but have greatly tweaked it to make it my own, super flavorful allergy-friendly version.
Serves: 4 @ 329 calories, 17.2g fat (based on 85% lean hamburger), 12.2g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 5.8g sugar, 31.6g protein, sans noodles. Info will change based on whichever noodle you add or don’t add!
- 6-8 ounces cooked rice vermicelli or gluten free spaghetti, miracle noodles, or zucchini noodles (you could also omit this completely if you'd like!)
- 1 pound lean ground meat
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup matchstick/julienne cut carrots ( I like to buy these ready to go to save time) Grated would also work.
- 1½ cup broccoli slaw (if available, omit if you'd like. Cabbage slaw would be good too!)
- 1½ cup chopped cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or more to taste
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (about $4 for large bottle of the high quality Three Crabs brand in an Asian grocery)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or equivalent in stevia, a few drops)
- 2 teaspoons tamari or coconut aminos (this is much cheaper in the store, around $5)
- Sriacha to taste (an amazing Asian hot sauce...LOVE it!!)
- 1 head Boston/Butter/Green/Red Leaf lettuce, washed and separated into leaves
- Cook pasta/noodle of choice according to directions. Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside. If you are using zucchini noodles, no cooking is necessary, just heat them gently at the end with all the ingredients!
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ground meat to pan. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- Stir in garlic, and cook for 2 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in noodles, carrots, and the next 3 ingredients (through bell pepper), to warm the ingredients.
- Turn the heat off and toss in the cilantro.
- Combine juice, sugar or stevia, fish sauce, and tamari in a small bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add juice mixture to beef mixture; tossing gently to coat. Grab a lettuce leaf and use it to spoon up the filling. Enjoy!
I shared this recipe in the “Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free!” recipe roundup, as well as on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Summer Salad Sundays, Seasonal Celebration Sundays, Sugar Free Sundays, Monday Mania, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, My Meatless Monday, Made From Scratch Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Gluten Free Wednesday, Frugal Ways Sustainable Ways, Kids in the Kitchen, Healthy 2Day Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Keep it Real Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Freaky Fridays, Fight Back Fridays, Fresh Bites Friday,Whole Foods Friday, GAPS Friendly Friday, Friday Foodie Fix,