Totally Addictive Kale Chips

Kale Chips, Oven Method
Kale chips: the worlds most addictive snack…REALLY!  I have been obsessively noshing on these for the past two months.
Confession: I am not a huge fan of dark greens (insert screeches of horror here!)  I am so in to being healthy, I should like all those dark leafy greens, right?!  But alas my taste-buds from days of old still hang on in a couple of areas.    Unfortunately, I have to ‘sneak’ them into ME too, not just my kids!!  I know how good they are for me, so I’d love to eat them everyday, all day.  I get a huge high getting any sort of dark leafy green into my kids…but usually it is snuck in somewhere.  And let be honest here: kale chips are not subtle.  They’re the opposite of subtle.  There is no sneaking happening here…it is a big, green leaf right before your eyes.  Your kids just might shirk away from the horrible dark green monster staring them in the face.
But one taste, and it is over…these are SO SO SO darn good.  You really won’t believe it until you taste them.  So even if your gag reflux starts just THINKING about dark greens…you have got to try these!  I can eat an entire head of kale all to myself, happily.  Crunchy and delicate, one bite and you will be hooked too.  I only waited so long to share with you because taking a pretty picture of kale….well…it was difficult!  I included pictures of my kids (and they are normal ole kiddos with just as much finickiness as the rest) happily crunching away just to prove to you!!  Crunch away…any doctor would tell you to eat as much of this addictive snack as you want!
SPECIAL NOTES:  Have a glass of water handy for swishing you teeth or you will greet people with Grinch-worthy green flecks all over your teeth!  Also, it is surprising how little salt is needed to make these flavorful…start with less and add a pinch more at a time…they get too salty quick!

You can cook these at higher temperatures, but they go from being done to burnt in seconds instead of minutes…so it is much trickier.

Makes 2 very large, addictive servings@ 263 calories, 16.9 g fat, 23.5 g carbs, 3.2 g fiber, .4 g sugar, 6.3 g protein

Kale Chips, Oven Method

Totally Addictive Kale Chips

• 1 head Lacinato (Dinosaur), or Curly Kale
  • 2 tablespoons (rough) olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • ¼-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • Optional flavor ideas: sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, maple syrup,sesame oil. The options are really limitless.I have used Annie's Asian Sesame Dressing even.
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Rinse and dry your kale leaves.
  3. Using your hands or a knife, remove the thick, coarse stems. I just tear the leaves off in chunks away from the thick rib. No exact size necessary, make them as perfect or not perfect as you like.
  4. In a bowl large enough to accommodate all the leaves, make your dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
  5. Place the leaves in the bowl and using your hands, toss and rub the dressing throughout all the leaves making sure they are all coated.
  6. Place in a SINGLE layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.
  7. Bake for about 30 minutes. Check your leaves, they should be crisp and crunchy, if not, put back in the oven for a few minutes until they are. Just be careful, when they burn, they taste bitter! I put 2 cookie sheets in at a time to speed the process up with success. This recipe usually fills about 2-3 cookie sheets. Taste the first batch, and if you'd like to add a wee bit more salt before cooking the next batch, now is the time!
  8. Store in an airtight container. I recommend eating them within a day.

Something he DOESN’T react too!
Tentative
Being silly too

Kale Chips, Oven Method

This recipe was shared on Ingredient Challenge MondayMy Meatless MondaysCalling All SaladsSunday ScoopNifty Thrifty Sundays, Meatless MondaysThe Sensitive PantryTuesday Time Out, and Traditional Tuesdays,  Sugar Free Sunday, Monday Mania, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, My Meatless Monday,Monday Mania, Make Your OWn Monday, Made From Scratch Mondays, The Better Mom’s LinkyFat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Traditional Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Gluten Free Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Kids in the Kitchen, This Chick Cooks, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays,Thriving on Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Wellness Weekend, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, It’s a Piece of Cake

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Grain Free/Paleo, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Sides & Salads, Snacks, Vegan
22 comments on “Totally Addictive Kale Chips
  1. Amber says:

Hi There Tessa,

What a fabulous idea! I am going to make these soon and I will let you know how they turn out, or if I find any spice variations of my own. Just love this creativity with food. Well done! Oh, and I voted for you!!!

Be Well,
    –Amber

2. I have some fresh local kale and have been wanting to make these for awhile. I will definitely give your recipe a try. Oh, I was thinking that the South African Smoke spice in the little grinder bottle from Trader Joes would be yummy on these!

3. Tessa says:

@countrykiddos: I think as long as you like the spice, it will be fantastic! these really are so versatile!

4. We love kale, but I haven't tried chips yet (except to sample at Whole Foods). I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing at The Willing Cook-A-Long.

5. We love kale chips in this house, especially when sprinkled with sea salt and vinegar before baking :-)

6. SLColman says:

Love Kale Chips!! Also, I would be willing to help test recipes for you :)

7. Tiffany says:

Hi Tessa! Thanks so much for this recipe (I talked to you earlier at the store)…I made kale chips twice today! Obsessed!

8. Amazing, aren' they…hard to believe something so good for us can be so addictive! So glad you liked them Tiffany!

9. Karen, WA state says:

We love making these chips, however I like to vary the spices. Family favs are garlic, cumin or curry chips.

10. YUM!! Can’t wait to try these. Pinning!!

11. This is one my daughter would probably give me a hassle even getting her to try just a little bitty taste, but my son, on the other hand, would be like you and eat it as it was available ☺ I’ve heard of ‘Kale Chips’ but have never tried it before. You have made it sound pretty simple to whip up a batch, so I’ll grab some kale at the market this weekend and give it a try. Thanks for sharing in our recipe hop ☺

12. I’m with you on the dark leafy greens thing…yuck! But your argument is very convincing! I’ll have to give them a try!

13. this sounds great. I have never made kale chips but I always wanted to try it.

14. Your kale chips look deeelicious! We love kale chips too but I have also left them in too long and gotten that yucky burnt flavor. But when they’re cooked just right …mmmmm! Your pictures are awesome. I’ve tried to take pictures of some I’ve made and they just look like something that nobody would want to eat…they certainly are not an attractive food! ha!

15. We totally love kale chips. I add smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder to my chips.

16. Wendy says:

I found this marvelous recipe for a paste coating, “vegan cheese”
    My life is transformed.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Totally Addictive Kale Chips"
  1. […] me…but kale?  I just can’t seem to get enough of it when it is prepared well!  Kale chips are amazing, and this recipe?  Totally different, but equally so.  My mom and I had […]