Easy No-Peel Creamy Applesauce

Easy, Creamy No Peel Applesauce

I have always loved making my own applesauce..but it was such a time consuming adventure removing ALL THOSE PEELS!  Not anymore!

Let me introduce you to the easiest applesauce ever: no peeling, AND the fiber of the peel is blended right in.

The texture is creamy…nothing like anything I have ever purchased in the store….you won’t believe the difference!  So just once, try it!  You will love it!

I use my Blend Tec in this recipe…I simply adore my blender and use it multiple times a day.  Every real foodie should have one!

SUCCESS TIP:  I live in Oregon, so apple varieties are plentiful via all the farmers in the area.  There are SO many different tastes out there, and all of them will lend a different flavor to the end result.  Usually I recommend a mixture to include at least some sweet-tart and some sweet for the right flavor balance.  Yucky tasting apples = yucky tasting applesauce!

Notice the apples look wilted when they're cooked

Notice the apples look wilted when they’re cooked

Makes about 3 cups applesauce

Easy No-Peel Creamy Applesauce

• 6 (about) medium organic apples (remember, this is the only ingredient, so use good/flavorful ones!
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Optional: additional fruit for applesauce combos like mango, strawberry, pear, or plum. If your apples were not too sweet, you could add a small amount of sweetener or fresh apple cider if necessary...I prefer liquid stevia or palm sugar, but almost never need this.
  1. Thoroughly wash your apples to remove any residues.
  2. Slice with an apple slicer or a knife.
  3. Steam the apples on your stove for about 20 minutes. I use a steamer basket for this. The apples should look wilted and soft. Alternately, place the apples in a Pyrex casserole dish with a lid and place in the microwave, covered. Cook for about 10 minutes.
  4. Place all the apples and their juices into a high powered blender, like a Blentec. The apples should not go above the liquid lines, or the mixture will overflow. Add in your cinnamon. Close the lid, and puree on high for about a minute (I used the whole juice button on my Blendtec).
  5. If you have a less powerful blender, or are using a food processor, this may take several minutes to get the creamy texture and to completely pulverize the peels.
  6. Taste and add sweetener if necessary.

Easy, Creamy No Peel Applesauce

This recipe was shared on Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Tasteful Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent TuesdayHearth & SOul, Traditional Tuesdays, Tuesday Greens, GF Tuesday, Waste Not Want NotGF Wednesday, Frugal days Sustainable Ways, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Tasty Traditions, Thank your Body, Full Plate Thursday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Wellness Weekend, Whole Foods Friday, Healthy Vgean Fridays, GF Fridays, Simple Meals,

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Grain Free/Paleo, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Sides & Salads, Snacks, Vegan
38 comments on “Easy No-Peel Creamy Applesauce
  1. This looks delicious! New twitter follower from the Things that make you say Mmm…hop. I co-host the Creative Corner Hop every Monday. Feel free to stop by and link up. It will be open all week.

Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

2. Lisa says:

I make applesauce all the time and can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

• I have always loved homemade applesauce Lisa, but it was such a production, it was a once a year thing! Now I feel like I can make it all the time, and the addition of peels makes my mommy brain quite happy!

3. You have been awarded the Versatile Blogger award. Stop by my blog to collect your award.

Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

4. I just got a Blendtec this year and have been wondering if I could make applesauce this way. Woo! Hoo!

Did you know you can do the same with tomatoes? I had a friend make her tomato sauce this way and then can it. She says it’s delicious.

• OOh, that’s a GREAT idea!! I always had a plethera of tomatoes come the end of summer….and the idea of not having to peel all those darn tomatoes is …well…THRILLING! Hope you love applesauce! thanks for stopping by!

5. Amber says:

Visiting from the Creative Corner Hop. I love applesauce and I am definitely going to try this recipe soon.

6. Trish says:

This looks so delicious! I am such a huge applesauce lover! It is often my choice for dessert. I will definitely be making this very soon! Thank you for posting!

7. Jen says:

No peel sounds great! I hope I get apples on my trees this year. So saving this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

8. April Harris says:

Your applesauce looks beautiful, Tessa. It’s lovely how you incorporated the skins into it – they are so nutritious. It looks like they have given your applesauce a wonderful texture too.

9. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

10. Katya says:

Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

11. Heather says:

Thank you for the easy recipe. However, I have a question. You no doubt leave on the peel to make this an easy recipe and increase the nutritional value. I also see that you care enough to use organic apples. I’m wondering though, why do you microwave it since this kills every bit of the nutrition? It would be far better to throw it in a pot on the stove, even though it takes a little longer.

• Hi Heather! I would be interested to read more on the drawbacks of the microwave. Surprisingly, I have yet to run across anything in all my reading and research. I have never sought info on cooking with a microwave, do you have an resources you could pass along? Thanks!

12. Laureen @FoxKitchen says:

Love it, such an easy no fuss way to make homemade apple sauce! Pinning and sharing on my Facebook page :)

13. Laura says:

I think it’s really interesting that almost all the folks who commented above haven’t actually tried the recipe, they just think it sounds good. In fact, it didn’t sound like ANYone had actually tried it. Nothing wrong with this of course.
    I tried it. I just finished a batch. I thought it sounded great and I loved the idea of leaving the peels on. So….this is good applesauce. But….it has a very smooth texture. If that is what you like in applesauce then you have come to the right place. I don’t think this is the recipe for me though, because I like a chunkier texture. This is kind of like baby food. It is super smooth. You would never know that the peels are still in it. I’m going to try it out on the kids and see what they think.
    Thanks Tessa for putting this recipe out there for us all to try.
    P.S. I steamed mine on the stovetop because I don’t use microwaves and it worked just fine.

• Hi Laura, thanks for your comment! It is pretty common for most people leave initial impressions. On others blogs, I have to scroll down to latter comments to see the people who actually tried it! I am still a pretty small blogger, so it takes time to get enough people following so that a handful actually get around to making the recipes, and then a few of those will come back with feedback! Yes, this is ultra creamy, so if you are a chunky applesauce girl, I would suggest a few pulses only…but the peel texture might be weird?!
      I have more recently started the stove top method too!

• InspectorJon says:

I make chunky applesauce with the peels left on all the time. I use a potato masher to mash everything up. I have never had any complaints about the skins. We had some very creamy textured applesauce in Germany once and my wife liked it. I found this site searching for Creamy Applesauce. I will try this method.

14. Jayna says:

Thanks so much for all your great recipes! I am anxious to try some when my health get better so I can be in the kitchen. I also try to stay away from the microwave. I purchased the Vitamix last year and at the demonstration the rep made applesauce by just putting the apples and cinnamon in the Vitamix without softening the apples first. The applesauce was delicious and had a great texture as I don’t care for a puree. It was nice and smooth! Just thought I would pass this along for those who don’t have time to soften the apples first and don’t want to use the microwave. My family loves it.

15. Hannah says:

LOVE homemamde applesauce. Pinned!

16. Well, it doesn’t get easier than this. When my kids were little, they loved applesauce, especially when too small to safely eat apple slices–this would be perfect for new parents. Thanks for sharing this on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

17. Julie says:

This may seem a silly question but do you remove the cores and seeds from the apples?

18. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

19. Danette says:

How would you steam them in the oven? We don’t do microwaves. Thanks!

20. Laurie says:

My Boyfriend was just asking me how to make applesauce. I was going to google it today but came across your post on Gluten Free Fridays when I went to link some things up. Thanks for the post this is so simple I will have some ready for him before he’s done at work today! Thanks!

21. Aurelia says:

So easy! I’ll try this, I love spiced apple sauce :) We need to get a new blender too so I’ll check out the Blentec you mentioned.

I found your blog via the Hearth & Soul Blog Hop this week.

This applesauce looks fabulous, so rich and creamy. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!

23. I make applesauce a lot, and get tired of all the peeling! I will definitely have to try this with my food processor. Thank you so much for sharing this on WNWNW, Tessa, I’ve pinned it : )

24. Heather says:

I have a question regarding the steaming. If I’m steaming and using a steamer basket, where does the juice from the apple come from to throw into the blender? Is is the water used for steaming the apples?
    Thanks