I have made this salad more times than I can count.
It was a salad we had picked up at our local deli one night for an easy side to our BBQ dinner. I loved the combo, but hated that everything felt drenched in dressing!
I knew I wanted to recreate it healthier..so to the kitchen I went! The results are a broccoli salad that we make over and over…it is a barbecue staple is this house!
It is fresh, travels well, and keeps well in the fridge for several days too. A perfect picnic food!
Dairy Free Broccoli Salad
Often, in traditional broccoli bacon salads, there is some for of dairy. Or they are made with heavily processed mayos that are no permitted in Whole30 and paleo lifestyles.
In this recipe, I replace half of my homemade Whole30 mayo with yogurt or sour cream (dairy free or not, depending on your needs). This is totally optional, you can use all mayo if you like, and be sure to make my 5 minute homemade mayo too! Just be warned, you may NEVER go back to store bought again…my whole family can’t now! Good thing it’s super easy and quick!
Keto or Whole30 Broccoli Bacon Salad?
If you are low car or keto, just omit the cranberries, still yummy!
If you are doing a Whole30, simply look for cranberries that sweetened with apple juice concentrate, there are many brands out there!
More Gluten Free & Paleo Barbecue Ideas:
When the summer months hit, it is great to have a whole host of ideas perfect for barbecues and picnics. Here are some paleo, gluten free, and some keto recipes to inspire you! You may also want to follow my barbecue and grilling board on Pinterest!
- Vietnamese Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Chicken (use boneless thighs or any bone in!)
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Homemade Potato Salad (no mayo)@ Recipes to Nourish
- Grilled Peaches w/ Marscapone or Ice Cream @ The Organic Kitchen
If you try this broccoli bacon salad, I want to hear from you! Comment below!
Bacon & Broccoli Salad Recipe:
Broccoli Salad w/ Bacon & Cranberries
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise I used my own homemade
- 1/4 cup yogurt I used So Delicious Plain Yogurt, may also use more mayo or if dairy tolerated, full fat sour cream, creme kefir, or plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 drops stevia optional, omit for Whole30, or use 1 teaspoon honey
- 12 oz broccoli florets and peeled and chopped broccoli stalks
- 4-5 pieces bacon cooked & crumbled (my favorite is Trader Joe's applewood smoked, nitrate free)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries optional, make sure they are apple juice sweetened for Whole30
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds optional
I an a large bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
Either chop the broccoli small, or pulse it a few times in a food processor.
In the same large bowl with the dressing, toss all the ingredients,
Store in the refrigerator!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!