POST UPDATED 10-14-2020
Never underestimate the power of ease in the life of a mom.
Sometimes it’s all we can do to get a meal on the table, and it is certainly nice to have some recipes in your repertoire that you’re likely to have all the ingredients on hand to throw together at the last minute ( kind of like this Instant Pot Rice a Roni chicken).
And this easy chili fits the bill!!
The beauty of chili is that you can clean your fridge of all sorts of things as it is so easy to adapt.
A red pepper on it’s last limpy leg? Throw it in!
No ground beef but a lump of some strange meat starting to collect frost in the recesses of the freezer…perfect!
No meat? Well that’s no big deal either, add some diced veggies!
And don’t want to store any unused onion? Throw the whole thing in!
That’s the thing about a great basic recipe: it is flexible to some omissions AND some additions!
Here’s an easy recipe I build from, only changing it to use up necessary items or satisfy some culinary whim!
Ways to play with the easy chili recipe:
Since this is an awesome basic chili recipe…there are so many options when it comes time to play with the recipe. Here are some ideas you could play with:
- add cubed pumpkin or sweet potato for a sweet/salty combo many love!
- Veggies! Chopped bell peppers any variety of chilies, or carrots get thrown in with the onions
- some smoky chipotle puree with add some heat AND some amazing flavor
- 2-3 teaspoons cocoa powder is a surprising and delicious addition
- play with variety of beans! There are so many great varieties out there, just be sure to use the cooking liquid too!
- chopped zucchini or some corn are classic additions too!
- Add a jar of your favorite salsa! We like Trader Joes Salsa Autentica
- I like to serve this with either my gluten free dairy free biscuits or my Corn-Free Cornbread!
- My flaky paleo biscuits are a grain free option!
- Toppings are where it is at! For large parties, it is fun to put out toppings bar for everyone to make it their own! I suggest cheddar cheese, sheep feta, jalapeños, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, cilantro, lime wedges, and cabbage shreds.
- organic corn chips add additional crunch!
- quesadillas are a fun addition to serve along the side.
Instant Pot chili recipe directions
This chili is super easy to do in your Instant Pot!
- Brown your chosen ground meat in your insert on ‘saute.’
- Thrown in all additional ingredients. Lock on lid, set timer for 30 minutes.
- When time is up, quick release, and serve!
Additional Tex-Mex inspired meals:
- This Tex-Mex pasta easily pulls together and is a crowd pleaser
- here’s a compilation of over 50 Tex Mex recipes! Paleo, keto, gluten free options!
- My tamale pie recipe has a chewy masa topping and is one of my family’s favorites!
Basic Chili Recipe:
If you try this gluten free chili, be sure to come back and let me know if you added any of the above tweaks to make it your own! Comment below!
- 2 pounds ground meat beef, chicken, pork, turkey, venison, etc
- 4 cans pinto beans WITH liquid. or any beans of your choice! 14 ounce cans.
- 2 cups any broth or water. More or less can be used depending on preference of thickness vs brothy.
- 14 ounces tomato sauce or 1 can tomato paste with additional broth or liquid to make 14 ounces
- 1 cup onion chopped, more is fine
- 4 ounces green chilies in a can
- 3 tablespoons chili powder I use Fiesta salt-free seasoning from the bulk spices, my favorite chili powder.
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt to taste
Optional garnishes and toppings:
- lime wedges, avocado, shredded cheese, feta, hot sauce, pickled jalapeños. sour cream, cabbage shreds
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the chosen ground meat until meat is browned and cooked through.
Drain grease, if desired.
Add in all the remaining ingredients, bring the chili to a simmer, cover, and then simmer on low about an hour to cook the veggies and meld the flavors. Can also cook in a slow cooker, or you Instant Pot (see above directions in post)
*serving suggestions above in post
*flavor variations above in post