A gluten free tamale pie with masa, a classic chewy topping, all made in one skillet for a family pleasing meal!! Kind of like a tamale in a skillet!
Long before our kids came into the picture, I found a recipe in a magazine for a tamale skillet pie. It was instantly a husband favorite.
And what is not to love? All the great flavors of a tamale…..in a fraction of the time.
Somehow, the original recipe disappeared…and I tried modifying recipe after recipe to recreate this favorite dish. Problem was, the cornbread topping always left me feeling ho-hum about the end product. I was looking for a texture more similar to the tamale masa…not bread.
And then I had a EUREKA! moment. Tamales are traditionally nothing like cornbread, what about going in for a chewy tamale topping instead? And FINALLY! A dish everyone loved and that we have eaten multiple times now!
This is a family friendly meal that goes together easily. Enjoy!
Can you make a paleo tamale pie?
- If you wanted to go the cornbread topping route, this Paleo cornbread is a great recipe!!
- If you wanted to try a low-carb tamale mixture, this recipe looks super interesting and I will be trying it soon on MY portion of this family favorite!
- Of course, the beans would need to be omitted…
Do you like Mexican food? Here are a couple other gluten free dishes using the flavors of Mexico:
- These Gluten Free Oven Baked Chimichangas (family favorite) are easy to make with the any taco leftovers! So crispy and crunchy!
- In only 30 minutes, these bomber Paleo Fish Tacos will be on the table!
- I love having quick and easy meals in my back pocket, you will love these Quick Mexican Eggs.
- My Instant Pot Tortilla Soup is easy and fast and has lots of authentic flavor! Pressure cooker or stove top as you choose!
Gluten Free Tamale Pie w/ Masa Recipe:
If you try this tamale pie, come back and leave a comment!
Skillet Tamale Pie - Gluten Free
A family favorite taco seasoned ground beef filling covered with a cheesy tamale style masa topping!
Ground Beef Filling:
- 1 pound ground beef or any ground meat.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder ( I use a flavorful yet mild chili powder called FIESTA found in bulk foods sections. It is great for making your own taco seasoning with the below seasonings too!
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup favorite salsa I use Trader Joes brand as it is mild for the kids, but still flavorful.
- 1 1/2 cup cooked beans I use my homemade beans, or about one can drained. I prefer pinto beans.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornmeal or millet meal with the broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium low, and continue simmering and stirring until thick, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the cheese, butter, and sea salt, set aside.
In an oven safe saute pan (I use my beloved cast iron skillet), brown the ground meat along with the spices.
Stir in the salsa and beans. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Pour the cornmeal over the top, dispersing evenly.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping has crisped up a bit!
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!