Nothing beats a steamy hot bowl of chili on a cold winter’s day.
And since there is no such thing as too much good chili, here’s another recipe!
The bits of sweet potato add a lovely sweet contrast to the savory soup, and THIS version contains no dairy like many versions, so it is allergy friendly.
I love how flexible chili recipes are…add a little more of this ingredient, a little less of that one…chilis are inherently flexible!
This was a big hit last night with our friends too.
I like my chili on the thick side…if you like it thinner, just add more broth!
Can I make this white chicken chili in the Instant Pot?
Here are your steps to use your pressure cooker:
- Press ‘saute’ on your Instant Pot and preheat the oil.
- Once hot, throw in those veggies to sauté a bit, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the broth, beans, chicken, and spices.
- Lock on your lid and set “pressure cook’ or manual timer for 10 minutes.
- Once the chili comes to pressure, the 10 minute timer will begin. When it finishes, hit cancel.
- Let rest for 5 minutes if you use chicken breast (helps tenderize meat), otherwise quick release.
- Add in chopped sweet potato, set cooker for 3 minutes ‘pressure cook’ or manual.
- Meanwhile, prepare your rice flour roux on the stove as directed.
- Quick release. Remove lid, hit ‘sauté’ and stir in the roux. Cook just until thick and bubbly, and serve!
Additional soup recipes to try:
- My Thai chicken soup is ready in 30 minutes!
- This creamy root vegetable soup uses all sorts of winter veggies for a dairy free and creamy soup!
- My kids favorite is my Instant Pot Tortilla Soup!
White Chicken Chili Recipe:
If you try this creamy pinto bean and chicken stew, be sure to come back and leave your feedback in a comment below!
White Chicken Chili
A creamy and satisfying chicken and pinto bean stew with tender chunk of sweet potato. Ultra warming and cozy!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to taste. If broth is unsalted, you will need more.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans pinto beans WITH their sauce, white beans also work great!
- 1 medium garnet yam chopped into bite-size pieces
Gluten Free Roux
- 1/4 cup rice flour I used sweet rice, I have also used brown rice
- 3 tablespoons butter vegan butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar any light colored one
- chopped cilantro, lime juice, avocado, green hot sauce
In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
Saute the green onion, red bell pepper,green pepper, and garlic until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the chicken, along with the ginger, salt, cumin, and chicken broth. Mix thoroughly.
Add in the sweet potato and beans (w/ their liquid), and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sweet potato is tender.
Making a roux
In a separate small saucepan or skillet, melt butter or oil over medium heat.
Stir in flour to make a roux (this mixture will be thick and dry.) Toast it gently for a minute or two until you begin to smell a nice toasted flavor from the rice flour.
Stir this mixture into the stockpot (this roux will thicken the chili and give it a nice, silky texture!). Let it simmer for a couple of minutes just to 'bloom' the flour and create the thicker texture.
Stir in the vinegar. Top with the lime juice and cilantro at this point, or allow everyone to add to their own taste.
Instant Pot instructions in the post above.
Any of the links in my posts may be affiliate links. If you click on them and make a purchase, I might make a commission. Your support is much appreciated and pays for the cost of running this free resource!