Oven Baked Chimichangas – Gluten & Dairy Free

This blog post will be a bit lengthy as it includes three different recipes.

I have mentioned before, we LOVE Mexican food in this house.  If I ask my husband for any sort of request, you can bet tacos will be one of them.  These are basically our tacos, made into a chimichanga!  I LOVE chimis, but there is no way you will ever find me deep frying: I just can’t bring myself to do it, I guess I know too much about the health!!

So how do you create a crunchy, crisp exterior with out the deep fryer?  I’ll teach you!!  Your fillings can be whatever you want, but THIS time, I used my Spanish rice recipe, my refried bean recipe, and  some deli chicken that needed to be used.  I have also made this with ground meat filling, and pulled pork fillings…..so do YOUR thing to it too!

Consider this a technique lesson and do all the fillings yourself!

It’s also noteworthy that this meal usually takes me about 30-45 minutes (depending on how many garnishes I prepare and how many times I scramble to find another exciting wooden spoon for the baby to chew on!)  It looks like a lot, but it’s really not so bad (but it WILL use a lot of pots!).  And once the chimichangas are in the oven, you have time to clean up before dinner!

Beans: (6 servings @ 79 calories, .7 g fat, 13.3 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 1.3 g sugars, 4.4 g protein)

Rice: ( 6 very large servings @ 227 calories, 5.8 g fat, 40.2 g carbs, .4 g fiber, .4 g sugar, 4.4 g protein)

Oven Baked Chimichangas - Gluten & Dairy Free
Serves: 6-8

• Chicken Filling:
  • 2 cups cooked and shredded or chopped chicken
  • ⅔ cup of your favorite salsa
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
  • ½ cup Daiya cheese or favorite shredded cheese
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • BEANS:
  • 1 14 ounce can pinto beans, w/ soaking liquid
  • 1 slice bacon, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons Fiesta chili powder
  • (OR use 1 can of your favorite refried beans!)
  • RICE:
  • 1½ cup long grain rice
  • 2 tablespoons oil of choice (I prefer coconut oil )
  • 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • ½ can tomato paste*** (see tip) or tomato sauce if it is what you have
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2¼ cups chicken broth
  • About 6-8 brown rice tortillas (or flour tortillas if you can have them, however, even my husband LOVES these with the brown rice tortillas, especially crunchy and crisp!)
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Start your rice. Heat oil over medium high heat in a pot with a tight fitting lid. Add in the rice and stir to coat with the oil. Continue to cook and stir every minute or two to toast the rice (see picture above). When it looks like mine, you're ready to move on. This normally takes about 5 minutes or so. Add in the salt, garlic, paste and cumin, stirring to blend. Add in the chicken broth, stirring to blend again. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until rice is tender.
  3. Meanwhile, cook your beans! Saute the bacon in a small pot until crisp and browned. Pour in the whole can of beans with their liquid, and add the spices. Partially mash the beans with a potato masher or fork. Simmer while you prep the remaining items.
  4. Stir together all your chicken filling ingredients.
  5. To assemble: Heat a teaspoon or two of oil/fat in a pan large enough to accommodate the brown rice tortilla. (As a side note, anyone who had used these knows, if you try to roll them up cold, they will break. I have also had NO luck using the microwave to heat them for rolling. By heating the tortilla in fat, you are adding the oil to make the tortillas super crunchy in the oven too) Heat the tortilla until soft and pliable, about a minute, remove.
  6. First spread some beans, then the chicken. There is no science to how much of each, you just want to make sure you can roll it up!
  7. Once filled, roll the tortilla tightly up, placing seam side down on a cookie sheet. Make the remaining chimichangas. If you used no oil or flour tortillas, brush the chimichangas with oil before baking them.
  8. Bake for about 25 minutes until crisp and golden. Garnish with any extra cheese, salsa, avocado, chopped lettuce, or hot sauce. Serve on a bed of Spanish rice.

***to save unused tomato paste for another use, I open both ends of the can with an opener.  I push one lid all the way through to the other side to deposit to whole cylinder onto a piece of waiting plastic wrap, close it up and freeze it.  I find this quite handy as so many recipes only call for a tablespoon here or there, and I hate any food to go to waste!  I slice off the frozen paste as I need it.

img_0581 - Copy

This recipe was shared on  Natural Living MondayMostly Homemade MondayMade By You Monday,  Fat Tuesday,Tuesday Talent ShowTotally Talented TuesdaysTasty Tuesdays,  Hearth & Soul, Homestead Barn Hop, Tip Me Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want NotWildcrafting WednesdayReal Food WednesdayFresh Foods Wednesday,  Wellness Wednesdays,  Full Plate ThursdayThriving on Thursday,  Simple Lives Thursday,  Pennywise Platter, Raw Foods Thursday Whole Foods FridayGF Friday,  Real Foods FridayFight Back FridaySimple Meals Friday, Savouring Saturday,

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Main Dish, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone
24 comments on “Oven Baked Chimichangas – Gluten & Dairy Free
  1. Amber says:

Hi There Tessa,

Just a note to let you know I shared your awesome dinner/main dish inspired recipe on my monthly recipe round-up. If you get a chance, come on over and check out the other dinner ideas ranging from meat-based to vegan.

Dinner is served ya’ll! :-)

Hugs,
    –Amber

2. Rachel says:

I love the tip on the tomato paste! I have been avoiding recipes with a little tomato paste because of the waste. Thanks for the technique on baking chimis too!

3. Michelle says:

Mmmm…can’t wait to try this! Sounds delicious! :)

4. Beth says:

Thanks for dinner tonight :). I happened to have things and now it’s assembled in the fridge for this evening. I never would have thought of chimichangas.

• Yes Beth, I love having dinner all nicely prepped and ready to go before that infamous sour hour! If only I managed it every day…I guess most days is pretty darn good…enjoy, we love them!!

5. Thanks for sharing these at Whole Food Wednesdays. Thanks for including a recipe for homemade refried beans. Love that.

Tessa,
    Your presentation for Oven Baked Chimichangas is awesome! We would just love this great Mexican Dish, and I can’t wait to try it. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

7. These look great! I am going to try to make them vegan for us. Thanks for all your awesome recipes and pictures. I admire you.

• Thank you allison, what a thoughtful comment! I bet a a black bean/sweet potato mixture would be good, one of my fav combos! But really, this is a technique thing,there are endless options for fillings! And you are certainly welcome for the recipes, you have amazing ones yourself! If you want any photo tips, let me know…i am still learning (I’m still a rookie!) but have learned a few things that have really helped!

8. Lisa says:

These look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

9. emily says:

HI! Just wanted to let you know I’ll be featuring you at this weeks tasty tuesday post!

10. April Harris says:

Your Chimichangas look so delicious! There are so many lovely healthy ingredients in them too. Thank you for sharing them.

11. Your Chimichangas look fantastic! I love that they are baked, instead of fried. I have never made chimichangas before, but I am definitely adding it to my list of recipes to try.

12. amber says:

Hey girl…I still, still, STILL make this recipe. It’s one of our favorites.

AND my family STILL sings the song (from the first time I made them over 2 years ago): “Chimichanga, chimi-chimi-changa.” I kid you not. Ha ha.

xoxo,
    –Am

I will be making these for my granddaughters, they look delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday today, it is great to have you at the party. Hope you have a very special week and come back soon!

14. Thanks for sharing on Mostly Homemade Mondays! Please join us again tomorrow :)

Kelli (www.thesustainablecouple.com)

15. These look great! Thanks so much for sharing it on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Tessa, I’m featuring it this week :)

16. Sounds great Tessa! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Its live now!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

17. Karen says:

Beautiful! I can’t wait to try these this weekend. Any thoughts on freezing these babies? I’m cooking for one :S Would it be better if I bake them then freeze or freeze, defrost then bake?

Love the tip about reheating the tortillas! I haven’t had any luck on my own so I’ll give this a go! Thank you very much.

• Hi Karen!! Freezing *should* work well! I would freeze it BEFORE baking it, then just thaw and bake as normal! Yes, try the reheating with the oil in a pan..it works wonders with these babies!

18. Raia says:

I’ve actually never had a chimichanga, but my hubby grew up on the freezer ones, so I’m sure this would be a huge hit with him. :) Pinning for later! :)
    Raia recently posted…The Ultimate Homemaking BundleMy Profile

4 Pings/Trackbacks for "Oven Baked Chimichangas – Gluten & Dairy Free"
  1. […] 6….depends on when I get to starting it!  This meat would go great served on a bed of my beans and rice, as well as a filling to my Chimichangas.  Fresh crunchy salad, diced tomatoes, fresh salsa […]

2. […] Red Mill Gluten free Pizza Crust Mix)1 can refried beans (You could use my homemade beans here, or I used Trader Joe’s Salsa Style refried beans)Grated cheddar cheese to taste (I used […]

3. […] the bacon! 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans (I used Trader Joe’s Salsa style) or try your hand at making your own, easily! 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles (optional) 2 teaspoons Fiesta Chili Powder (a salt-free […]