Raw Chocolate Macaroons- Hail Merry Knock-Off

Raw Chcoclate Macaroons - Hail Merry Knock-Off

I am sorry.  I will go ahead and say it now.  I am sorry because once you make these incredibly easy and unbelievably good little morsels, you will curse my name for bringing them into your house.  Unless of course your one of those people that can control yourself when tempting foods are around (teach me please!).

The only reason I made these was because I knew I could make them super small and portion control myself with just two.  But that takes real will power…these are SO yummy!

Dark chocolate, coconut, dense fudgy texture, and no refined sugars…..a perfect treat!!  And don’t forget that heart healthy coconut oil, dare I call these health food?!

So don’t say I didn’t warn you!  Hail Merry is one of those companies I am happy to support, doing good things for our bodies…I love responsible companies! I created this recipe going off the back of the Hail Merry Choco Macaroons ingredient list (and they are JUST as yummy!).  And if you like Hail Merry Lemon Tarts, see my knock off recipe!

Raw Chocolate Macaroons- Hail Merry Knock-Off

• 2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened preferable
  • ½ cup coconut oil (scant)
  • 4-5 tablespoon cocoa powder (good stuff, not cheap stuff, I really enjoy Dagoba…and they are local for me!)
  • ¼ cup honey, coconut nectar, or maple syrup (or more to taste, not too much though, or you’ll mess with the texture. You could also use liquid stevia as a sweetness booster!)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  1. Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until well mixed, scraping down the sides as necessary. You want to make sure all ingredients are incorporated, it will be thick!
  2. Roll into little balls with your hands, or scoop some dough out, and plop down on a wax paper or a Silpat lined cookie sheet. Chill in the freezer or fridge. Store in an airtight container, in the fridge or freezer.

This recipe was shared on Sweets for a SaturdayWellness WeekendFull Plate Thursday, Freaky Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Whole Foods Friday, Seasonal Celebration Sunday, Natural Living Mondays, Monday Mania, My Meatless Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Better Mom’s Linky, Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays, GF Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Kids in the Kitchen, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Keep It Real Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Thriving on Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Raw Foods Thursday

Raw Chcoclate Macaroons - Hail Merry Knock-Off

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Cookies & Bars, Dessert, Grain Free/Paleo, Snacks, Vegan
64 comments on “Raw Chocolate Macaroons- Hail Merry Knock-Off
  1. I'll make them tonight! They are Paleo friendly too :)

2. DOUBLE bonus! These are just about perfect in so many ways!

3. Ricki says:

Wow, wow!!! They look incredible. Who can say no to chocolate AND coconut–together??!! Thanks for submitting this to WW this week! :)

Hi Tressa,
    Your Macaroons look delicious, these would be a very special treat! Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!

5. Chaya says:

When I first read the ingredients in this recipe, I had to hold myself back from going to the kitchen and making them. It was 2, in the morning.

I hope to make these, tomorrow, Thanks for linking them to My Meatless Mondays.

6. too easy to make Chaya..I get that! Now being up at 2 am…it's been awhile since I've been up THAT late! Hope you like them…

7. Vegan, gluten-free and raw? What could be better in a dessert! Yum these sound and look amazing, I can't wait to try them! I have been avoiding sugar, so I think I'm going to try subbing the maple syrup with Medjool dates and see how they turn out. Hopefully as good as these!

8. It would be fun to play with the dates concept…let us know if it turns out!

9. So simple, yet soooo good, and I say that without even having tried one yet! ;-) Great job, Tessa! I'll be giving these a try when the sweet cravings hit. :-)

Shirley

10. Anonymous says:

Can you substitute agave for the maple syrup in this recipe?

11. you sub ANY liquid sweetener!

12. amber says:

Hi There Tessa,

Just a note to let you know I shared your awesome recipe on my monthly recipe round-up highlighting raw dishes. If you get a chance, come on over and check out the other inspiring raw recipes from sweet to savory.

Hugs,
    –Amber

13. Cappy says:

I just made these for the first time tonight, after having tried the Hail Merry brand a few weeks ago. They were delicious, thank you! I might have processed them in the food processor for a little too long, though, because I ended up with a lot of excess coconut oil. I was using a small ice cream scoop and trying to compress them as much as possible, pressing out as much of the oil as possible. So next time I might reduce the amount of oil used. Still, they were quite yummy! Even my partner, who usually turns his nose up at my “weird low-carb creations” is loving them. :)

14. Wow these sound so good! Chocolate and coconut is just a ridiculously good combination :)

15. So funny – I also just posted a recipe for Hail Merry’s this week – I love them but had to figure out how to make them myself. Mine are a tad different but good to compare notes!

16. These look yummy! I miss Hail Merry products. Since moving back home to Montreal no Hail Merry anything- anywhere!! :(

17. AlmondJoy says:

These were ALMOST a disaster. The Vegas heat must have been the reason, because I followed measurements exactly! So I ended up with a mix that wouldn’t hold a ball shape… refrigerated it… still not working….then added 6 dates and the mix back into the food processor… SUCCESS! It held together nicely and set up very firm in the fridge. Thanks for the recipe, I look forward to making it again soon, and definitely in cooler weather!

18. Wow! This looks great. I love a good macaroons & with whole ingredients this makes it so much better!

19. Saw this recipe featured as part of Healthy Vegan Friday’s on Gabby’s site (the veggie nook). Will have to try it myself..I kinda have a thing for macaroons, especially chocolate ones :)

This is a great cookie that we will really enjoy. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

21. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

22. Suzie Blair says:

Tessa, Thank-you so much for the lemon tart knock-off. It is wonderful. Please, please tell me, you are working on the chocolate almond butter tart. I am just getting my feet wet with raw and am delighted to have found you.

23. I am loving these! Got them tweeted and pinned!

24. Brian Loveless says:

I think I used too much coconut oil, as the bag of coconut I used only had 14 oz. I redeemed them by sprinkling a scant tablespoon of almond meal flour. They held together great!

Thanks for the recipe, any ideas on what makes the plain macaroons so good? I was thinking almond extract?

• Hi Brain! Glad you got the them hold together….I have yet to have issues in all the times I have made them..but yes…2 ounces less coconut might have been the issue there!
      Which plain macaroons are you referring too? Hail Merry’s? I haven;t had those yet, but it looks like the only use almond flour…and raw vanilla extract. I should try those! I also want to try their newest tart, the vanilla one!

25. Amanda says:

Made these after not being able to buy these in Canada, but I put them in the dehydrator for 4 hours ahhh amazing, crispy on the outside gooey chocolate on the inside, best recipe my mother in law whom is not a healthy eater is going to make them, officially converted !

26. Maui Mama says:

For those of us without a dehydrator I learned this little tip: Pre-heat oven to 150 or lowest setting then turn it off and place macaroons (or whatever!) in the oven for desired amount of time. I’ve found for this recipe 6-12hrs or overnight is OMGMELTINYOURMOUTH!!! Although admittedly its REALLY difficult to wait that long!!! I’ve definetly tried them without “dehydrating” (bc i couldnt wait!) and they’re still very very good! But they are better, if u can believe it, after dehydrating.

27. BreRoz says:

Made these today! They were great – thanks!

28. Micki says:

This is simply amazing. I make it ALL THE TIME. Thank you for the great recipe.

29. Laura W says:

These are amazing. Thank you!

30. Sara T says:

These are ridiculously close to the real thing. I forgot about the “scant” note on the oil and used a full 1/2 cup. I will use a little less next time, but they still turned out really great.

They froze in minutes, and I moved them to the fridge after.

I love the Hail Merry ones, but they are a rare treat because they are just too pricey. I am so excited to now be able to make them myself at home!

Thank you!

31. Sara T says:

I’d like to note that if you use the fine shredded coconut, rather than the medium shred, they will turn out more like the original.

32. Julie says:

I made two batches tonight:) One with honey, and one with Maple Syrup, with the latter turning out much better. I also thought the amount of oil in the original recipe was too much, so I halved it in the second batch. I also added a touch more salt and and slightly more of the syrup than was called for. Super easy and super yummy!

33. mae says:

Thank you for the recipe, but you should really think about placing a clearer warning about the amount of coconut oil earlier in the recipe. “Scant” means very little, or hardly any, yet you suggest that 1/2 a cup is the necessary portion. Putting the two terms side by side is a bit contradictory. Anyway, I think 1/4 cup of oil is about enough. 1/2 cup ruined it for me. I had to add a lot of almond flour to redeem the recipe. Aside from that, the end product was delicious (once I added about 1/4 cup of almond flour).

34. Jamie Glass says:

Trying to figure out where I went wrong. This only made 14 balls and the cocoa and salt were overwhelming. I used 2 cups of coconut but it seems that maybe this should have been 4 cups. Any ideas?

• I am not sure why some people are having issues with the coconut oil part Jamie….I use Nutivia brand primarily, and Trader Joe’s too. I have made these so many times with no issue…so I am baffled! That besides, I use a tiny little scoop to achieve 32 pieces…but you can make them larger as you did too. What brand of cocoa powder did you use? I have noticed some brands making my food taste down right awful…I usually use Dagoba or Frontier. AND everyone taste buds are unique, so back off on the salt and cocoa powder if you choose. Other readers have added almond flour to bind it up, another option you could try, or reducing the coconut oil to 1/3 cup.

35. Randi says:

Wow! Just made these! Delicious. I would add a little more coconut or a little less oil next time. Going to try the strawberry ones next time. THANKS!

36. jamie says:

would agave nectar be ok in this instead of honey or syrup?

37. katy says:

These are SO GOOD. Everyone in my family agrees!
    katy recently posted…OrganizationMy Profile

38. JMR says:

I’m making these right now and I’ll put them in the dehydrator for a while. Yum. I think the coconut oil problem some people have had is really a coconut issue. If you use unsweetened coconut, for example the kind in the bulk bins at Whole Foods, it is really dry and soaks up the coconut oil. If you’re using a bag of nice soft coconut, it doesn’t soak up the oil and the cookies will not be firm enough.

39. Tara says:

Made these tonight. Wow, they are fantastic and very satisfying. Rarely do I make a healthy cookie recipe and think of it as a substitute for the real thing. However, these are great. Thank you!

40. Emily says:

Wondering if you (or anyone) has tried this recipe adding almond or peanut butter?

41. Susanne says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just bought some of these yesterday and thought, “Awfully expensive, wonder if I could make them myself” – and here is your recipe!

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "Raw Chocolate Macaroons- Hail Merry Knock-Off"
  1. [...] lemon, just sub the lemon ingredients for the one you’d like!  And if you like their raw chocolate macaroons, check out my knock off recipe for [...]