THEN….. I met this one.
Years ago I found the original recipe in a Cooking Light magazine. I greatly adapted it even then, and as luscious as that original puff pastry crust was over the top……I needed to tweak it yet again.
Unlike typical pot pies, this one has a single crust over the top. I like it this way as I don’t have to get fancy with the rolling of crust (not my forte!), but I have made this with top and bottom crusts too. I actually prefer to make individual pies within ramekins: cuter and easier to eat!
Do what you like! If you need help making or working with crust, or if you’re just looking for some inspiration, you might want to check out http://www.pastryschools.net
For those of you who missed my story on Facebook, there is a funny story behind my photo op for this recipe. I had just a little filling leftover, and had made a tiny bit of crust to bake up for the pictures during nap time. I had started taking pictures when the UPS man arrived with my new photo light. I was so thrilled, I immediately set about putting it together for a test drive. When I went to retrieve my pot pie, as I walked into the room, my 7 year old daughter (who was supposedly doing her homework mind you) proudly exclaims, “Ta DAH!!!!” In my absence, she had ‘helped’ do a little staging of her own by stabbing the whole pie up with a fork! A las…not tons of choices in the picture department to pick from, but you get the idea! Can any of you relate?!
I have three crusts recipes I have used for this:
- Grain Free/Egg Free Pie Crust @ The Spunky Coconut
- Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust @ Gluten Free Girl
- Grain Free/Egg Free Easy Roll Pie Crust @ Real Sustenance
All crusts were delicious in different ways, although Gluten Free Girl’s tastes the most traditional and buttery. And Real Sustenance’s is super easy to work with with a lovely, biscuit-like texture and buttery flavor.
This recipe is so amazing, I never would have guessed a pot pie recipe would make it into my tattered and well-loved recipe notebook…but it has…and it is used again and again.
VEGAN NOTE: This recipe is easily made vegan by eliminating the chicken completely and using your favorite veggie broth. Add an extra cup or two or chopped root vegetables of choice!
PICKY EATER? If you let the rot vegetable steam a bit longer…you can mash them up so there are no vegetable chunks for picky eaters.
- Crust of choice (see links above)
- 3 cups broth of choice
- 1½ cup peeled potato, ½” cubes
- 2 cups peeled sweet potato, ½” cubes
- 1 cup peeled celery root, ½” cubes
- ½ cup peeled parsnip, ½” cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour or other rice flour (for grain-free, sub a mix of arrowroot, tapioca, or coconut flours…this is just for thickening)
- 1½ cup UNSWEETENED milk of choice
- 1 1b boneless chicken, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Prepare your crust, or use a preferred store bought one.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large stockpot, heat the broth and all the vegetables minus the peas to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the chicken chunks and peas. Simmer for additional 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender the chicken is cooked. Remove the veg and chicken with a slotted spoon and set the broth back on the stove.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk the milk and flour. Pour into the simmering broth, whisking. Stir in all the seasonings. When the mixture is thick, stir the vegetables and chicken back in.
- Pour the creamy filling into a greased pie plate, or one lined with a prepped crust (some crusts must be par-baked and if you choose to do this route, follow the crust recipe’s directions). Roll the crust out and place over the top of the filling. Alternately, you can place random chunks of the rolled out crust over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
This recipe was shared on Allergy Friendly Fridays, Sugar Free Sundays, Monday Mania, My Meatless Monday, Melt In Your Mouth Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Real Food 101, Mix It Up Monday, Better Mom’s Monday Linky, Just Another Meatless Monday, Creative Corner, Things That Make You Say MMM, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, These Chicks Cooked, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Real Food Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, Thriving on Thursday, Wellness Weekends, Freaky Fridays, Fresh Bites Friday, Lunchbox Love,