The first time I tasted the Thai Carrot soup from Whole Foods Market…it was love at first spoonful. How had I missed this amazing soup before??!! The only reason I grabbed it all is because my neighbor had mentioned it and how much she had loved it. I wouldn’t normally be drawn to something with carrot. I mean…it’s not like carrots aren’t great…but they are not my go-to vegetable.
But this soup. It is seriously amazing, and before I had moved onto my second spoonful….I was brainstorming ways to recreate it…after all , at $6.99 for a pint…this was not cheap. And I knew I could do it and leave out canola oil and other weird ingredients (hydrolyzed yeast extract?) I didn’t really want.
I first tried to see if a a recipe was already online…but I couldn’t find ANYTHING…it was all totally different. So armed with an ingredient list…I set to work.
Enter the Instant Pot (cue angels singing!). When my trusty stove-top pressure cooker started causing me grief with the pressure gauge….I knew the time might soon be upon me to replace this well-loved and well-used kitchen pot. Not having one was not an option….it is one of my most used pots…dinner in a FRACTION of the time..(think pot roast in under an hour)!! This busy mom would never be without the convenience!! I had been seeing posts for ages about others and their Instant Pots…so I started looking there first. It didn’t take long to see that this was definitely the pot for me:
- plug in, run an automated program for whatever your cooking, and then forget about it (you have to watch stove top ones carefully since they are on a continuous heat source)
- large capacity
- rice cooker
- slow cooker
- yogurt maker
- very quiet operation (unlike my stove top cooker)
Since receiving my new toy, I have been using it incessantly. So of course I used it to make this soup…although no biggy if don’t have one…stove top is easy enough too, just more cooking time.
Come enjoy a warming, flavorful soup that even my husband goes nuts over (not much of a soup guy)!
Like soup? Here are a couple of other recipes you could try!!
- Spanish Garlic & Egg Soup (lightening quick!!)
- Thai Chicken Soup
- Creamy Ham & Potato Chowder (dairy free)
- Homemade Chicken Soup in a Flash
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other fat
- 1 medium yellow onion, rough chop
- 1¼ pound carrot, rough chop
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, with seeds, rough chop (optional...the seeds provide the heat so remove if you like to temper it)
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger,use a Microplane and you will thank me!!
- 4 cups broth, veggie or chicken
- 1 teaspoon sea salt OR 1 tablespoon fish sauce (to taste for saltiness)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoongaram masala
- ¼ teaspoon tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped (added in after cooking, before pureeing)
- ½ cup cream or full fat coconut milk
- 20 drops stevia or 3 tablespoons honey, optional
- Instant Pot Directions
- Using the saute feature, heat the oil and add the onion. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften but not brown.
- Add in the chopped carrot and pepper, sauteing for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the broth and all the spices, stirring.
- Lock the lid and set manual pressure for 12 minutes.
- When time is up, do a quick release, unlock the lid, add the cilantro, and puree the soup in a blender, food processor, or try using your immersion blender.
- Add back to pot and stir in the cream and stevia (if using).
- STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
- The same as above, but at step 4, you will cover and simmer about 30 minutes until carrots are tender.