(this post has been updated 7-24-2020)
I am pretty sure it is NOT because the weather has been sunny, because we haven’t had much of that problem this year (uuggh!).
But, have made this full-meal salad loads of times.
I love the the way all the soft molten yolk disperses through the greens, it is a fabulous marriage with the tangy dressing and bright greens
The ingredients in this salad are so simple, and the meal comes together in a flash!
Sometimes I just boil the eggs too instead of frying, whatever mood suits you is just fine!
Homemade garlic croutons for this breakfast salad?
If you aren’t watching your carbs, then homemade croutons are fabulous, so don’t even THINK of short-cutting with store-bought ones! I also saw this recipe for crispy keto croutons in the air fryer, so even low carbers can have that lovely crunch too if they want!
So if you are game, please check out the homemade croutons recipe below!
Breakfast protein addition?
In the pictures, I used some pre cooked crumbled breakfast sausage. You could choose from any assortment of typical breakfast proteins like bacon, sausage, or ham! Have and cooked and in bite sized pieces before you prep your salad.
Personalizing your salad for breakfast!
It can be fun playing with the options here! Make this YOUR version of awesome!
- different dressings can be used! Vinaigrette preferred! Replace the lemon juice with red wine, apple cider, or balsamic vinegar.
- add cheese! Grated shreds of any sharp cheese! Dubliner, parmesan, gouda….or maybe even some crumbled goat cheese!
- play with your greens! Use what you have in your garden, arugula is pictured, baby greens….you pick!
- change up the meat! Crumbled cooked breakfast sausage, bacon, prosciutto are all tasty.
- Instead of a fried egg, you could poach or do soft boiled!
Additional healthy breakfast ideas:
- these gluten free breakfast pizzas are crispy, crunchy, and oh so addicting!
- I love this low carb hot cereal!
- I created this gluten free cream of wheat knock off for my son!
- these paleo breakfast cookies are perfect for on the go!
Breakfast Salad Recipe:
If you try this breakfast salad, be sure to come back and leave a review!
Green for breakfast make for a quick and nourishing meal to start your day!
- 4 medium eggs
- 4 ounces mixed greens of your choice. Arugula tasty!
Optional Garlic Croutons
- 3 slices any bread I used Rudi's Gluten Free, sliced into thin crouton-size strips
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
Optional Cheese (not Whole30)
- a sprinkle of sharp cheese can be awesome!
First prep the dressing by whisking all ingredients together. Set aside.
Next, prep the croutons IF you're adding these: preheat a large skillet over medium heat, toss your sliced bread and sliced garlic in a large mixing bowl with the avocado oil to evenly coat.
Pour into a hot pan, and saute over medium heat until golden, stirring frequently.
Place salad greens in the same bowl used for the croutons and toss the dressing to taste. Mound on individual plates or bowls. (now is the time to sprinkle any cheese or breakfast meat you have decided to add as well).
Divide the the warm croutons between the two plates.
Bump the heat down to medium-low/low. Low and slow is key to frying the perfect sunny side up egg! Add a touch of avocado oil to the pan, and fry your eggs gently, until egg whites are set.
When eggs are ready, place two atop each bed of greens and serve!
nutrition facts do not include optional croutons, cheese, or breakfast meat