Dense and chewy paleo chocolate peppermint cookies to celebrate your holiday season with style! Beautiful to look at, the cookies are full of peppermint flavor, and rich chocolate goodness. Don’t sacrifice your health goals this holiday season, you can stick to your paleo foods and still have some fun! Egg, dairy, and grain free!
When I asked on my Facebook page for what types of Christmas cookies my readers were looking for this year, many wanted keto, and many wanted nut and egg free. I created these beauties to meet the egg and nut free goal!!
Chocolate and mint have always been one of my favorite combinations. I created a Frango Mint Vegan Truffles years ago they always makes an appearance in our house around the holidays.
And every year, I like trying new things as variety is the spice of life…at least in MY world! My kids would definitely disagree…they want the same things over. And over. And over.
But if I followed their lead on everything, A.) I would not be a food blogger, and B.) I would bored! So there’s that!
Some of our favorite Christmas cookies will make their appearances (hello gluten free thumbprints!!), and I might make a batch of roca (probably too dangerous for my waistline). But one thing for sure, these chocolate mint cookies will be made again!
With their soft chocolate topping and tender bite, they are hard to resist. If I don’t say so myself!
Chocolate peppermint cookie recipe options:
- Crushed natural candy canes are a fun and festive addition…either mixed into the dough or sprinkled on to the still warm melted chocolate topping. I stick to the dye free and natural ones.
- You may use some therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil too, in place of the extract.
- You could wrap a square of chocolate with the cookie dough and have a yummy filled Christmas cookie.
- Add some peppermint INTO the melted chocolate topping for added minty goodness!
- I bet a gluten free all-purpose flour could work for this too, if that is what you have on hand.
More healthy (ish) gluten free Christmas cookie recipes
- My Keto Cheesecake Cookies are one of my favs, whether I make them low carb or not!
- A simplified recipes, these Gluten Free Samoas are a delicious vegan treat!
- Beautiful to look at, Gluten Free Linzer Cookies look like stained glass!
- A classic bar cookies, Keto 7 Layer Magic Bars are made low carb!
- One of my kiddos favs: Paleo Boot Tracks (made in a waffle iron!)
Gluten Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Recipe:
If you try these festive and tempting morsels, be sure to come back and leave a review and comment below!
Paleo Chocolate Peppermint Cookies - Nut Free
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
In the bowl of a mixer, beat the softened butter (or coconut oil) with the sugar of choice and the extracts.
Once creamy, beat in the egg (whichever one you go with!).
With the mixer running on low, sprinkle in all the dry ingredients to incorporate. Dough will be stiff. Let it rest a minute to allow the flour to absorb and 'bloom'
Using 1.5 tablespoons of dough, roll 15 balls, spacing them evenly on the cookie sheet. Use a wet glass to gently press down and flatten a bit. These cookies will not rise or move.
Bake for about 8 minutes. DO NOT OVER BAKE, or they will be dry! Let rest 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Prepare your ganache by gently melting the chocolate and coconut oil together. Once smooth , gently spoon a dollop on the each cookie and rub with the back of spoon to form a circle.
If natural candy canes are your jam, sprinkle some crushed ones on top of the still melted chocolate and let cool!