This is one of those meals that you can’t believe takes so little effort and tastes so darn good. Many times, I add rice noodles to please the kiddos…but rice noodles and soup can be a bit tricky, as they get soggy very quickly. I recommend boiling them separately, but al dente or slightly undercooked. You then add the noodles to individual bowls and pour the hot soup over them. If you store noodles with the soup, they will get too soggy, so store them separately…that is IF there is any left!!
I discovered this recipe in a Sunset Magazine, years ago, submitted by a reader named Jiranooch Shapiro….whoever you are…THANK YOU!!
- 1 14oz can coconut milk (Whole Food 365 brand is the most affordable I’ve found, and I have been happy with it!)
- 1 14oz can chicken broth, or homemade
- 6 slices FRESH ginger or galangal root, about a quarter size each
- 1-2 lemongrass stalks, cut into 3rds or 4ths
- 1 pound boned and skinned chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms ( I usually do a mix of cremini and shitake!)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (or more taste)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or 4 drops liquid stevia
- 1-3 teaspoons Thai Chile Garlic Sauce or paste, or Sriacha
- ½ cup finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Optional: Lots of veggies would make a good addition to this soup..I love sweet peppers!
- In a soup pot, bring the coconut milk, chicken broth, ginger, and lemongrass to a boil.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass and ginger slices.
- Add the remaining ingredients, more or less as you prefer!!
This recipe was shared on Gluten Free Wednesdays, Kids in the Kitchen, Seasonal Celebration, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Get Real Frugal Friday, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Simple Lives Thursday, Keep It Real Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fresh Bites Friday, Whole Foods Friday, GF Fridays, Fight Back Friday, Simple Meals, Friday, Allergy Friendly Fridays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday,Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesdays,