Blueberry Crumble Bars – Gluten Free & Vegan

Blueberry Crumble Bars - Gluten Free & Vegan

It is definitely a bit later than normal, but blueberries are finally here!!

I promised the kids that we’d go to a blueberry patch, but we had to keep putting it off as none of the berries were ready yet!  Most places around here opened last weekend, so I was eager to get out and get our share.

Any true lover of blueberries knows…they are quite amazing fresh off the bush…a taste almost never found in store-bought berries.  We found a u-pick that didn’t use any sprays and were on our way!

After only an hour, we were able to harvest 12 pounds of fresh berries…and I swear I only hit up 5-6 bushes to fill my gallon bucket!  It was so gratifying, me and my friend were giddy with our blueberry bounty.

The kids had so much fun, and managed to pick a couple of berries…but most of them made their way into their bellies instead of their buckets!img_1730

Yesterday I made a blueberry buckle for all the pickers (which was great, but I neglected to take a picture or make careful measurements so it could be recreated!) and today I made these for the preschool kids. Buttery and gooey with a lovely tartness from the berries.  You could use any mix of berries here.

Yield: About 16 servings @ 140 calories, 3.2 g fat, 29 g carbs, 3.8 g fiber, 7.2 g sugar, 2.3 g protein (based on using stevia in place of half of the palm sugar)

Blueberry Crumble Bars - Gluten Free & Vegan

Blueberry Crumble Bars - Gluten Free & Vegan
Author:

• 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 cup gluten free oat flour ( could be subbed with more brown rice, millet, or sorghum)
  • ½ cup tapioca flour
  • 1½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
  • ½ cup dairy free margarine or allowed butter
  • 3 tablespoons any milk - about (see directions)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • FILLING:
  • 3 cups fresh blueberries (or thawed frozen)
  • ¼ cup granulated sweetener of choice (I used xylitol, I will be experimenting with less or no sugar soon!)
  • 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
  1. In a food processor fitted with the "S" blade, pulse the crust ingredients through the margarine. Alternately, you could use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the the fat into the dry ingredients until it is well dispersed and no bigger than small peas.
  2. When well combined, with the machine running (or by hand with a spoon), add the vanilla and the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stop adding milk when the dough can be pressed together with your fingers. HINT: If you like a softer dough, add a bit more milk, if you prefer more crunch, don't!
  3. Press ½ of the dough into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan (I used my Silpat so it did not stick to my hands).
  4. Mix the blueberries, sugar, and arrowroot starch together.
  5. Spread this over the crust, and crumble the remaining cookie crust over the top.
  6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes until the crust is golden and the center is set. Let cool before cutting.

Blueberry Crumble Bars - Gluten Free & Vegan

This recipe was shared on Hearth & SoulFat Tuesday, GF Tuesday, GF Wednesday,

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Cookies & Bars, Dessert, Vegan
19 comments on “Blueberry Crumble Bars – Gluten Free & Vegan
  1. This looks amazing! I’m really loving blueberries now that they are in season! I need to find a u-pick place here. I’ve done that with strawberries, but I haven’t taken the kids to pick blueberries. I need to get on that!

2. Hi Tessa, I love all things blueberry so I will be trying these bars with pastured organic butter and coconut sugar! Thanks for the recipe.

3. angie says:

oh so yummy sounds so delicious perfect for summer breakfast, picnic, or my favorite hiking come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

I think I have just enough fresh blueberries in the Frig to make this awesome crumble, Tessa. I looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

5. April Harris says:

That’s amazing you harvested 12 pounds of berries! Wow! I’ve made a similar blueberry bar that wasn’t gluten free, and it really is scrumptious. I like that everyone can enjoy your delicious recipe, even those who can’t eat grains!

6. Hi Tessa! I clicked over here from Wellness Weekend and I said to myself I wonder who this is from. And then your site popped up and I thought of course because she is UH-Mazing! This looks delicious! Really been enjoying your blog! Thanks for a great recipe.

• Thank you Kristy, I love to hear that! If you try any recipes, I LOVE getting feedback!

• These were so yummy!! I even reduced the sugar in the filling by half and crust by 1/3. And when my parents and husband still happily approve, you know it is good! Loved by all! I have also tried your pumpkin scones (a favorite of mine) and the little oatmeal sunbutter chocolate chip balls. Yummy too!

• Thanks for letting me Kristy…yes I have been reducing the sugar too, just waiting until I get it as low as possible before adjusting!! I appreciate you taking the time to let me know how things are working out!

7. Alana says:

These look delicious!

8. This looks so scrumptious – too bad I eat all the blueberries before they get anywhere near a recipe!

9. Rebecca says:

I’m not surprised you were gidd y with your blueberry bounty-12lbs! Wow, I’m so envious. This healthy dessert looks totally divine and a recipe I’d love to try! Thanks for sharing this with us at Seasonal Celebration! Rebecca x

10. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

11. Swathi says:

Blueberry crisp bars looks delicious. thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning it.
    Swathi recently posted…Avalose podi: Roasted Rice and Coconut PowderMy Profile

12. Rosemary says:

Hi Looks super but any suggestion as a substitute for the oat flour please as I can’t even tolerate GF oats. Thanks