Sauteed Kale w/ Caramelized Onions

Sauteed Kale w/ Caramelized Onions

I think I am in love.  It seems so hard to believe I once hated dark greens.  I still am averse to chard, and spinach has a weird texture for me…but kale?  I just can’t seem to get enough of it when it is prepared well!

Kale chips are amazing, and this recipe?  Totally different, but equally so.  My mom and I had picked up some kale salad with caramelized onions at my local natural foods deli.  We adored it, so it was only natural to try and recreate it…and I did, but even better (in my humble opinion!)

Even people who are averse to dark greens will likely enjoy this: so simple, but OH SO GOOD!  And as far as nutrients go, you can’t get a more nutrient dense leafy green than kale, so go ahead…INDULGE!

Sauteed Kale w/ Caramelized Onions

• 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced thinly
  • 1 head kale, washed, and thinly sliced
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
  1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
  2. Add the oil and heat gently.
  3. Add the onion, stir to coat with oil, then turn the heat to low and saute for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This slow cooking over low heat sweetens the onions. You know they’re ready when you taste one…..no pungent onion flavor, just luscious sweetness!
  4. Add the kale on top along w/ 1-2 tablespoons water.
  5. Increase the heat to medium and cover.
  6. Steam the kale for about 5-10 minutes until the kale is wilted and tender. Remove the lid and stir to incorporate the onions.
  7. Add some salt to taste. Sprinkle in the vinegar and pepper flakes and saute another minute or two to evaporate any leftover moisture.
  8. Taste and adjust seasonings. Try not to eat the whole batch all to yourself!

Sauteed Kale w/ Caramelized Onions

This recipe was shared on Ingredient Challenge Monday, Wellness Weekend, GFE’s Virtual Gluten Free Support Group, Fight back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Simple meals Friday, Healthy Vegan Friday, My Meatless Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Potluck Party – Meatless, Fat Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesday,GF Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Seasonal Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Wheat Free Wednesday, Pennywise Platter,

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Grain Free/Paleo, Recipes 4 Everyday & Everyone, Sides & Salads, Vegan
16 comments on “Sauteed Kale w/ Caramelized Onions
  1. I would skip the vinegar but I adore kale! This looks great!

2. Yes, many would, although in my family, weusualy double it!! Easy enough to leave out!

3. Maria says:

Sounds delicious! I love kale chips too, and this looks like another good recipe! And kale is so good for you too, added bonus! Thanks for sharing!

4. ooh this sounds yummy! I still have some kale in the garden cling to life after all the frost and snow, must get it in and make this!

5. Kristi says:

This looks fantastic!!! Would you be open to posting this at my blog carnival, superfood sunday?

Thanks!!

6. Chaya says:

Tessa, this wonderful dish is being featured on My Meatless Mondays. It looks delicious.

7. :) Thank you for sharing your recipe in the And Love it, Too! March Ingredient-Challenge Monday!!! You were featured today as our winning entry!

I do hope you’ll join us again.

xoxo,

SunnyB

8. Emily says:

Yummy!!! What a combo! Thanks so much for sharing at Nap-Time Creations’ Tasteful Tuesdays… so glad to have you around for the party! I’m pleased to tell you that this recipe is being featured tomorrow in a CELEBRATE GREEN (st. Pats) Round Up! I would LOVE if you would post the featured button on this post to show off your feature and follow via GFC or E-mail if you don’t already. Don’t miss out on any of the fun! (link will be live Sat. morning) http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/03/celebrategreen.html

We grow kale in our garden and this will be a great recipe to try. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.

10. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

11. Oh my gosh, when I saw the pics and recipe for this post my tummy growled!! Looks super delish.
    Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

12. Alea says:

I love kale, especially since I can grow it year round. Your recipe looks delicious!

13. I find Kale a bit bitter, but this looks SO good! I just may have to try it again…maybe I’m just not cooking it right :)

Thank you so much for linking up to Wildcrafting Wednesday #77 at Real Food Real
    Frugal
    !  Please come by again this week and join us for Wildcrafting Wednesday #78!

14. Oh, I think we’ll be making this as a dish really soon! Got this tweeted and pinned to our gluten free fridays board! See you this week!

15. YES! You must have just watched my latest video all about the health benefits of KALE! lol!!! This recipe looks AMAZING – caramelized onions are soooo flipping delis! :)

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Sauteed Kale w/ Caramelized Onions"
  1. [...] Sautéed Kale with Caramelized Onions not only works well with Kale, it is delicious when used with Spinach and even Beet [...]