I think I am in love. It seems so hard to believe I once hated dark greens. I still am averse to chard, and spinach has a weird texture for me…but kale? I just can’t seem to get enough of it when it is prepared well!
Kale chips are amazing, and this recipe? Totally different, but equally so. My mom and I had picked up some kale salad with caramelized onions at my local natural foods deli. We adored it, so it was only natural to try and recreate it…and I did, but even better (in my humble opinion!)
Even people who are averse to dark greens will likely enjoy this: so simple, but OH SO GOOD! And as far as nutrients go, you can’t get a more nutrient dense leafy green than kale, so go ahead…INDULGE!
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 head kale, washed, and thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the oil and heat gently.
- Add the onion, stir to coat with oil, then turn the heat to low and saute for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This slow cooking over low heat sweetens the onions. You know they're ready when you taste one.....no pungent onion flavor, just luscious sweetness!
- Add the kale on top along w/ 1-2 tablespoons water.
- Increase the heat to medium and cover.
- Steam the kale for about 5-10 minutes until the kale is wilted and tender. Remove the lid and stir to incorporate the onions.
- Add some salt to taste. Sprinkle in the vinegar and pepper flakes and saute another minute or two to evaporate any leftover moisture.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Try not to eat the whole batch all to yourself!
This recipe was shared on Ingredient Challenge Monday, Wellness Weekend, GFE’s Virtual Gluten Free Support Group, Fight back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Whole Foods Friday, Simple meals Friday, Healthy Vegan Friday, My Meatless Monday, Make Your Own Monday, Natural Living Monday, Potluck Party – Meatless, Fat Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul, Traditional Tuesday,GF Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Seasonal Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Wheat Free Wednesday, Pennywise Platter,